AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX + RX 7900 XT Linux Support & Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dimko View Post

Lets say, I agree with you. Nvidia DOES look forward and pushes the technology. But it does it SO FAST, that it hurts its own customer base and developers. And make no mistake, they don't do it to advance technology, nononono, they do it to make themselves a monopoly, which they de facto are at this time.
    I coulc compare it to cars. Imagine there are 3 general car manufacturers, a, b, c. A is building a car that is gonna fly soon, b is building relatively good car, but without some bells and whistles, and c manufacturer is eating glue somewhere. IMHO customers and auto shops should adapt to b, as its what benefits them best. us gamers, are fucking stupid... We go for a every time.
    This is normal and in fact, good for users. Pushing forward forces AMD to improve their products and increases competitivity. Look at what Intel has done before Ryzen. For like 10 years we only had 4 core CPU, faster 10% year to year. Was it good? No. Every tech company struggles to deliver something that will differentiate it from the rest. It's been like that for ages. Commodore bought MOS and Amiga in early 80s to deliver unheard of capabilities at very low price. It made 8-bit hardware look like crap.

RTX series will be 5 years old soon. AMD still doesn't have tensor cores, and rocm is a joke. Personally, I think RT is useless now for gaming (something like 32-color antialiasing in 1999 on Riva TNT). You get slightly better (not always even better, sometimes just different) image for 50% performance drop.

The problem is when everybody says you HAVE TO enable it. On ULTRA settings only. Game developers MUST use it. DLSS3 is a MUST because you have to play in 4K 120fps. That's the only way you can play. Otherwise your PC is junk. And you're not a gamer.

NO you don't have to.

30fps is enough for most games, 60fps is plenty. RT doesn't do much of a difference. 1440p will do for 27 inch! Your 5-year old GPU is perfectly fine for gaming. I've finished Doom Eternal on Ultra 1440p 60fps on RX570 with some slight dynamic scaling. RX6800XT isn't any better here.

edit:
    And nVidia does not sell CPUs, mobo and wifi chips etc. They're mainly a fabless GPU maker. If they let AMD or Intel to be better at GPUs- it's game over for them.
    Last edited by sobrus; 14 December 2022, 06:45 AM.

Comment

• I decided to share some of my thoughts. Please invite your friends for a troll fest.
      What I expected: 1. 7900xtx to be a competitor for overpriced 4090. At least in rasterization, performance wise. 2. Push other GPU prices down. Especially considering that chiplet design obliterated CPU market. 3. 7900xtx be below 1000$. While on paper it is, in practice it won't be. 4. 7900 XT to be a good competitor to 7900

Comment

• Originally posted by sobrus View Post
        Commodore bought MOS and Amiga in early 80s to deliver unheard of capabilities at very low price.
        This one line crosses out EVERYTHING you just said. 1600$, or 2000 Euro here in EU(wellcome to VAT TAX) - can be a freaking month of salary for a gamer.
        And no, 30 FPS is not acceptable and 60 is too low in modern days. Not a valid argument. I mean, I can say, it's acceptable playing pacman as for of entertainment. It is still entertainment. NO. Just no.
        Compare prices for gaming consoles and just GPU unit on it's own. It's crazy. I can't wait to see justification by AMD/NVIDIA for putting same more or less GPU units into Peasant Boxes for fracture of price of current GPUs.

Their predatory tactics it killing PC market. I starting to considering other less expensive and healthier hobbies. This is not a good place for monopolies to be in, where core customer consider to switch over to other industry.

Comment

• Originally posted by dimko View Post
          Compare prices for gaming consoles and just GPU unit on it's own. It's crazy. I can't wait to see justification by AMD/NVIDIA for putting same more or less GPU units into Peasant Boxes for fracture of price of current GPUs.
          Not sure where you are getting that idea, but AFAIK the GPUs in the latest console generation are considered to be closer to an NVidia 2070 or AMD 5700XT, which are both a long way from current GPUs in both price and performance.
          Last edited by bridgman; 14 December 2022, 11:11 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

• In Italy the prices for these new cards have scaled linearly with performance compared to 2019 despite general inflation; meaning they are relatively cheaper than before in terms of perf/€.
            Too bad they are already sold out, and 3rd-party cards will probably have an indecent markup for "space-grade radiation-hardened gold-plated-everything" PCBs and/or slightly better coolers with "fantasium military-grade sphere bearings and stealth pattern fans" that make absolutely no difference once inside a proper chassis.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Not sure where you are getting that idea, but AFAIK the GPUs in the latest console generation are considered to be closer to an NVidia 2070 or AMD 5700XT, which are both a long way from current GPUs in both price and performance.
              MSRP of 5700 at time of release was I believe 400$.
              MSRP of modern peasantbox at time of release was what? 500-600$
              And then it comes with:
              CPU
              Motherboard
              RAM(not sure, it may be shared)
              Game controller
              Basic Storage unit
              Wifi Card
              Ethernet Card
              Powersupply
              Sound Card, possibly(albeit its probably virtual thingy over HDMI)
              Wireless controller for said game controller
              Some OS/software(albeit its a joke)
              Quality Control
              Assembly
              Possibly game or two

So when next peasant box will come out, I assure you, if its 1000$, no one will buy it.(may be 5% of all console peasants will switch over to new console).
              Unless gaming server infrastructure is centralized and M$ or $ony can put kibosh on it.
              Now I realize, console will be slightly sponsored, but still, with all above...

Comment

• I'm still not following you - when the last gen of consoles launched high end GPUs were selling for $1000+ (3090 was $1499).

Consoles have usually been launched at midrange GPU pricing with midrange GPU performance.
                Test signature

Comment

• Consoles are sold at a loss for several years into their service life. Even with overpriced games, locked in services and exclusivity they don't recover after a while. Maybe if you divide up the total upfront cost of a graphics card over several years, but even then you will find that in the long run consoles are indeed more expensive. That is, unless you make a habit of upgrading hardware every time the next big thing comes out. But yeah, price creep has been getting ridiculous lately and it's getting really expensive to be any kind of gamer. Add that to the fact that neither AMD or nvidia put much effort to diversify their product stack anymore with graphics cards that are not junk.

Comment

• Saw someone overclock the simple 7900 model at 3.5Ghz Shader and 3.7Ghz Asic at 400w intensive Compute. Once he started gaming, it took a hit at 3Ghz Shader and Ray Tracing even at 2.5Ghz (that accounts for most of the RT loss). So there is something that the hardware doing wrong here and i say that it is compromised. So don't buy until they fix and fully release the clocks. Lower clocks are not guaranty to save you from kaboom. Similar is happening with Zen 4, bulk metal spreader instead of vapor chamber one. Both products compromised, dangerous to buy at any price.​

Comment

• Just installed my new 7900XT. Arch Linux, linux 6.1 from testing, mesa git (desktop wouldn't launch with something about gfx11 not being supported architecture).

Multimonitor power usage is a problem. I see my wall power drop by about ~60W when I turn off a monitor. But it is a 2560x1440@144Hz so that's not free either.

Games seem to run well initially. Waiting for the ROCm compile now to see if/how ML will work. AMD advertised ML this time around so it should work better. Right? I'm not particularly hopeful...

AMA or let me know if there's anything you want me to run/test
                      Last edited by agartner; 14 December 2022, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X