Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Performance Of Arch Linux Powered CachyOS

Phoronix: The Performance Of Arch Linux Powered CachyOS

Recently there have been a number of Phoronix readers writing in about CachyOS, an Arch Linux based distribution that is new and is focused on " better speed, security and ease of use," So of course there has been requests to see how well CachyOS performs against other distributions... In thus article is an initial look at the CachyOS performance compared to that of also Arch Linux based Endeavour OS, Ubuntu 22.10, Fedora Workstation 37, and then Intel's Clear Linux that is already well known for its performance attributes.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I the only one feeling testing an Arch derivative without also testing Arch itself is a huge missed opportunity?

Comment

CachyOS calls out the use of the CacULE CPU scheduler as one of its differences compared to the stock Arch Linux kernel.
      While all these efforts for alternate CPU schedulers on Linux are certainly applaudable, not having the prospect of ever entering the mainline kernel kinda makes them seem moot in the long run; case in point:

--> Con Kalivas' BFS & MuQQS...

Maybe trying to further improve upon CFS is the better road to take?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Am I the only one feeling testing an Arch derivative without also testing Arch itself is a huge missed opportunity?
        FTA first page: "Upstream Arch Linux itself wasn't tested for this article due to Archinstall with this month's ISO continually leading to crashes on this test system."
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

While all these efforts for alternate CPU schedulers on Linux are certainly applaudable, not having the prospect of ever entering the mainline kernel kinda makes them seem moot in the long run; case in point:

--> Con Kalivas' BFS & MuQQS...

Maybe trying to further improve upon CFS is the better road to take?
          That part is not up-to-date any longer, CachyOS offers a wide variety of options and nowadays BORE (which is a burst-oriented CFS extension) is the default scheduler. It works very well for me.

I am also happy to see Michael's review in particular as I stumbled into the distro by accident around half a year ago and got to love the project's ambitions and the lovely community of Arch enthusiasts around it. At least they are trying hard to deliver a performant and super-optimized experience targeting desktop and gaming use. The maintainers are super responsive and helpful, I came to enjoy their discord server very much and getting part of that community.

Beware that it is still Arch underneath, so there might be breakage from time to time if you have a lot of AUR-packages on your machine; also Arch still has a problem with timely toolchain updates (but CachyOS offers optional PKGBUILDS if you want to compile one yourself).
          Last edited by ms178; 09 December 2022, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Am I the only one feeling reading test results without actually reading them is a huge misstep on your part?

'Cause it clearly says “Upstream Arch Linux itself wasn't tested for this article due to Archinstall with this month's ISO continually leading to crashes on this test system.” on the FIRST PAGE of the article.

Comment

What kernel is this using? Are they using Clear Linux patches?

Comment

Well EndeavourOS is almost identical to Arch. It uses Arch repos and a small own repo for some non-critical utilities and software like eos-welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
                  What kernel is this using? Are they using Clear Linux patches?
                  You can read more about it in their Kernel repo, and browse all of the patches they are carrying - they integrate quite a lot of fancy new patchsets that are known to bring benefits and are usually benchmarked before inclusion: https://github.com/CachyOS/linux-cachyos

Comment

I realize that arch linux did not install properly on the testing system, which is unfortunate. But if/when it does, what I would really be curious about is the benefit of using the ALHP repositories (same packages as Arch recompiled for x86_64-v3, with -O3 and LTO).

Comment

Working...
                    X