Blender 3.4 Now Available With Wayland, Intel Open Path Guiding Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Development is plenty, support is plenty, the future shines brightly for Wayland and actual X11 developers moved away from X11 to Wayland.
    Wayland failures does not count when the desktop environments trying to implement their functions. There are plenty of bad actors and annoyances with the Wayland philosophies but the way it got built made it modern and accessible that it is today.
    I get the feeling that Wayland has a more "doing it right" mentality while X11 was "don't fix what isn't broken" (there are reasons for that).
    Doing it right? For who exactly? Kiosks? Cuz it's not done right for gamers or animators or video editing or film development and a whole host of other things because of stupid design philosophies that are baked into the protocol.

The X11 philosophy is superior in that sense, since at least it implies that what's broken should be fixed, meanwhile in wayland the philosophy seems more along the lines of "no matter what's broken, don't fix it; just encourage developers to work around it by blaming them for everything the protocol gets wrong."

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Care to elaborate?
    ​Just laughing at the fact that it took blender over 10 years to support Wayland, and laughing more about how it's only one of very few pieces of software that even support it in the first place. 90% of wayland use seems to just be xwayland.
    Last edited by rabcor; 07 December 2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Wayland support would've been there sooner if it was written in rust.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        Cuz it's not done right for gamers or animators or video editing or film development
        I currently do all of those in Wayland session. For some reason there's a lot of people who would rather speak about Wayland as if it's 2012.

Don't respond. I won't see it. Not gonna have yet another argument about Wayland vs X11 on here.

Comment

Why are there so many arguments on this site? As soon as I saw the title I thought "I bet people in the comments are going to be arguing about X11 vs Wayland" and within the first two comments there was already one...

Comment

Yeah, just to repeat what Myownfriend said, it sounds like you're talking about Wayland of ole, not the current state.

I still have some issues and some grumblings, but I know they're being worked on, so it's fine. If you really don't like it, you can always use X server.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

I currently do all of those in Wayland session. For some reason there's a lot of people who would rather speak about Wayland as if it's 2012.

Don't respond. I won't see it. Not gonna have yet another argument about Wayland vs X11 on here.
              Vsync is globally forced on... That can interfere with a lot of things related to those activities, maybe you work around it, maybe you're just one of those people who can happily operate under those restrictions, or maybe you just live with it and pretend to be happy about it.

Whatever the case, wayland is not an optimal environment for these activities; it can work for these activities sure, it's capabilities are just inherently (an deliberately) gimped in this regard.

And this is just one of many big problems with wayland...

I can type with a game controller, but it's not 'right' for that job the same way wayland isn't 'right' for those kinds of tasks. I'm sure it's great for kiosks and very suitable for smartphones too. But for general purpose desktop environments? It's a piece of shit already just because of this one problem, nevermind the whole host of other, bigger problems.

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
              Yeah, just to repeat what Myownfriend said, it sounds like you're talking about Wayland of ole, not the current state.

I still have some issues and some grumblings, but I know they're being worked on, so it's fine. If you really don't like it, you can always use X server.

​There is no Wayland of old, the damn protocol has barely seen any updates for the past 10 years. Or what, are you telling me the wayland devs suddenly became less pigheaded this year and suddenly started deciding to address critical problems like this? Is the wayland of old you speak of wayland half a year ago and everything's just been getting fixed magically over that time period?
              Last edited by rabcor; 07 December 2022, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Vsync is globally forced on...
                Wayland is getting tearing (no V-Sync) support as of late, but it's a pretty recent development that may not be readily available yet.

That said, if you have a VRR display, capping the framerate a few frames below your monitor's maximum refresh rate while having V-Sync enabled will probably give you a better experience (low input lag, yet no tearing). The question remains about Wayland's VRR support though, as even X11 is far from perfect in this area (no VRR in multi-monitor setups).

Comment

Still no groups with parented content in the outliner... damnnnnn. It's unbelievable and we are almost in 2023.
                  They still rely on null with a parent constraint to manage geometry hierarchy, it's such a slow and obsolete workflow.. and in the mean time, they do great with procedural modeling.

I like when softwares fix their trunk before thinking of the branches.

Comment

av1 support is nice

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                      Another nail in the x11 coffin 😎
                      X11 then and now

index.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X