Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 12.4 Released With Various Fixes & Improvements

Phoronix: FreeBSD 12.4 Released With Various Fixes & Improvements

For FreeBSD users not yet on the FreeBSD 13 stable series, FreeBSD 12.4 is now available as the newest point release to that N-1 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope it includes patches for the ping command that recently had a bug discovered that allowed "only" 40 bytes of remote code execution if you pinged a malicious server. People in the FB FreeBSD group were trying to downplay it but I thought it was a big deal!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      I hope it includes patches for the ping command that recently had a bug discovered that allowed "only" 40 bytes of remote code execution if you pinged a malicious server. People in the FB FreeBSD group were trying to downplay it but I thought it was a big deal!
      It's not a big deal. It's already patched. It'd only be a 'big deal' if they weren't going to fix it.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        - Various other memory leak fixes, bug fixes, and other maintenance work within the FreeBSD keernel code.

- Fixes to cp, nfsd, usbconfig, and other user-space utilities.

- Updates to bundled software like OpenSSL 1.1.1q, OpenSSH 9.1p1, SQLite 3.39.3, and other software.

Downloads and more information on FreeBSD 12.4-RELEASe via FreeBSD.org.​

Comment

Omitted from release notes:

Important After upgrading, sshd will not accept new connections until it is restarted. After installing the new userland, either reboot (as specified in the source update procedure), or execute service sshd restart​

Important to operators of remote servers without remote console access, especially if the server is faraway. (If you shoot yourself in the foot, without knowledge of what's required, you'll be unhappy with the need to travel.)

Context: https://reviews.freebsd.org/differen...t/?ref=1112230

Comment

Working...
          X