Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenIndiana Hipster 2022.10 Released With Updates For This OpenSolaris-Derived OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenIndiana Hipster 2022.10 Released With Updates For This OpenSolaris-Derived OS

Phoronix: OpenIndiana Hipster 2022.10 Released With Updates For This OpenSolaris-Derived OS

There isn't too much interest in Solaris these days and the once vibrant open-source (Open)Solaris community is a small fraction of its past, but OpenIndiana Hipster continues pushing forward as the operating system forked from OpenSolaris and now serves as a distribution derived from the Illumos code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! As an old Solaris user it would be nice to see how OpenIndiana perform against modern Linux distros!

Comment

In unrelated news an FOSS hosting project, FOSSHUB, has ceased to exist:

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        In unrelated news an FOSS hosting project, FOSSHUB, has ceased to exist:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33848529
        First of all, you are in the wrong thread. I suggest you create a new thread for it.

Second, read a bit more carefully. It's FossHost, not FossHub. The latter is still alive and doing well.
        I hope that typo wasn't intentional.

Comment

Speaking of typos…
          MATE 1.26 for its default deskotp environment

Comment

Not very much widely used but still interesting project and it's a shame that Oracle killed OpenSolaris and Solaris turned into completely proprietary OS again. As far I know OpenIndiana (that can be considered as direct successor of the OpenSolaris as it is based on illumos) is the only free Unix OS that is descendant of System V. Most free Unix and Unix like OS are descendants of BSD (like obviously Free/Net/Open/Dragonfly BSD or Darwin that is open source core of Apple operating systems) or independent (like Minix or Linux). System V family operating systems were mostly proprietary.

Comment

I've always wanted to run either OpenIndiana or Triblex as a daily driver just to see how it is. I remember using openSolaris in university around 2012 and being impressed with it but it was running so slow on our workstations back then.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                Not very much widely used but still interesting project and it's a shame that Oracle killed OpenSolaris and Solaris turned into completely proprietary OS again. As far I know OpenIndiana (that can be considered as direct successor of the OpenSolaris as it is based on illumos) is the only free Unix OS that is descendant of System V. Most free Unix and Unix like OS are descendants of BSD (like obviously Free/Net/Open/Dragonfly BSD or Darwin that is open source core of Apple operating systems) or independent (like Minix or Linux). System V family operating systems were mostly proprietary.
                I wouldn't say Oracle really killed OpenSolaris, rather that it evolved into OpenIndiana. What really did (mostly) kill OpenIndiana is the idiot who thought it was a cool/good/awesome idea to name it Hipster. Most people would, rightfully, avoid having anything to do with hipsters. It's gotta be one of the worst software name choices in history. One of the most predictable jokes in this forum is the name of ReiserFS whenever it's mentioned, and that the current devs don't rebrand it into something better. Same goes for OpenIndiana Hipster.

A shame really, a really missed opportunity for some good competition to Linux and the BSD's. 10 years ago.

Comment

I wonder if they will ever support wayland...

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                    There's also OmniOS (for servers) and SmartOS (same).

Comment

Working...
                    X