Apache IoTDB 1.0 Released As An "Internet of Things Database"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

The JVM sometimes lacks features on some less popular platforms.
    Yes, the program will probably run, but it often would not have JIT compilation or sometimes even garbage collection(I once worked on a system where it was impossible to free anything, because java do not have manual memory management and if GC is not implemented on that version of the JVM, then that is that.)
    A JVM without GC? That will be utterly useless, thanks for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
      Except when you need FFI, which many programs do. All you need is one platform-specific dependency and then your Java or Python program is absolutely no different than any other native binary. That's why the concept is a joke, because it falls apart in the real world.
      Well, if one dependency/API is platform-specific instead of be wrapped in a platform independent form, then it is indeed no different from a native one in terms of testing and deployment.

Also, most natively compiled languages already have tons of libraries that abstract the underlying platform. You don't need a VM to do that.
      Yes I am aware of that.

VMs are not magic, especially in the embedded world. All they are is a tradeoff between the various pros and cons of JIT versus native binary. There's pros to using a VM, but they certainly don't include hoping that your code magically works everywhere, certainly if it's a non-trivial program.
      VMs are definitely not a good fit in embedded world where resource are scarce, C/C++/Rust/Zig is more suitable for these scenarios.

Comment

... Anything?
        C was literally made for that. And while that used to be a clunky process, modern cross-compilers, better tooling and newer languages have made it seamless. It's practically an automated process.
        Don't drink Sun/Oracle's koolaid, "write once run everywhere" is not only just a marketing campaign but factually incorrect, Java is just as platform-dependent as any other C program, because it is a C program. Just like any other VM/JIT language.
        So....after 50 years of C, if you are correct, why hasn't everything IoT related been written in C ? For that matter why hasn't every Android app been rewritten in C or recompiled to take advantage of each of the multitude of ARM based SoCs each with their own custom DSPs and GPUs in each of the multitude of Android devices?

C is a dying language along with C++. Google is deprecating both. Microsoft is deprecating both. The "Alphabet Agencies" (NSA, CIA, DOD etc.,) are deprecating both. I think Amazon is also making moves to deprecate both or announce something of the sort. Both C and C++ will be around for decades like COBOL for obvious reasons like the massive scale of the installed code base worldwide. But make no mistake, just as ARM based computing will be the majority of compute device sales by 2030 to the detrimate of x86/64 so shall C and C++ begin to wane in the face of Rust, Java, C#, Swift, Go and even Ada.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post
          VMs are definitely not a good fit in embedded world where resource are scarce, C/C++/Rust/Zig is more suitable for these scenarios.

VMs are fine in embedded spaces, especially on modern hardware or really anything thats not as simple as an Arduino. No doubt pre-compiled binaries are better, but a good JIT VM pretty much is just a self-compiling binary anyway, just with a little extra memory overhead for the bigger runtime and the whole slow startup issue.

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

So....after 50 years of C, if you are correct, why hasn't everything IoT related been written in C ? For that matter why hasn't every Android app been rewritten in C or recompiled to take advantage of each of the multitude of ARM based SoCs each with their own custom DSPs and GPUs in each of the multitude of Android devices?

C is a dying language along with C++. Google is deprecating both. Microsoft is deprecating both. The "Alphabet Agencies" (NSA, CIA, DOD etc.,) are deprecating both. I think Amazon is also making moves to deprecate both or announce something of the sort. Both C and C++ will be around for decades like COBOL for obvious reasons like the massive scale of the installed code base worldwide. But make no mistake, just as ARM based computing will be the majority of compute device sales by 2030 to the detrimate of x86/64 so shall C and C++ begin to wane in the face of Rust, Java, C#, Swift, Go and even Ada.
          Hey moron, I think you missed the point of this thread and my post. I was talking about application portability, not which language is the best. C is famous for being the an early popular language specifically made for portability, I was using it as an example. I recommend you curb your blind impulse to go on programming language preaching tirades.
          Last edited by Ironmask; 06 December 2022, 08:26 AM.

Comment

VMs are fine in embedded spaces, especially on modern hardware or really anything thats not as simple as an Arduino. No doubt pre-compiled binaries are better, but a good JIT VM pretty much is just a self-compiling binary anyway, just with a little extra memory overhead for the bigger runtime and the whole slow startup issue.

Hey moron, I think you missed the point of this thread and my post. I was talking about application portability, not which language is the best. C is famous for being the an early popular language specifically made for portability, I was using it as an example. I recommend you curb your blind impulse to go on programming language preaching tirades.
            Ah yes....the classic Linux geek and phreak response when one has no valid response to a query by calling someone a moron. C is not that portable, if it were so it would be everywhere including the majority of IoT devices. C's portability comes at a great price when confronted by the heterogenous nature of IoT devices. C is not memory safe and to make it so with programmatic trickery makes portability and code base maintainability a real bitch. And like I said before every major cloud provider and some of the largest cloud users are deprecating it's use in new projects. Hell, even the Linux kernel is tentatively but surely none the less introducing Rust into the kernel which I predict over the next 20 years will become the dominate language of the Linux kernel if not C's entire replacement.

I'm not preaching a thing. I see the trends. And the trend is not C's friend. Get over yourself, zealot.

Comment

Originally posted by jumbotron View Post

ah yes....the classic linux geek and phreak response when one has no valid response to a query by calling someone a moron. C is not that portable, if it were so it would be everywhere including the majority of iot devices. C's portability comes at a great price when confronted by the heterogenous nature of iot devices. C is not memory safe and to make it so with programmatic trickery makes portability and code base maintainability a real bitch. And like i said before every major cloud provider and some of the largest cloud users are deprecating it's use in new projects. Hell, even the linux kernel is tentatively but surely none the less introducing rust into the kernel which i predict over the next 20 years will become the dominate language of the linux kernel if not c's entire replacement.

I'm not preaching a thing. I see the trends. And the trend is not c's friend. Get over yourself, zealot.
              it was just an example, relax

Comment

Working...
              X