PAPPL 1.3 Released With Improved Print Job Management, Image Printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAPPL 1.3 Released With Improved Print Job Management, Image Printing

Phoronix: PAPPL 1.3 Released With Improved Print Job Management, Image Printing

CUPS print server lead developer Michael Sweet has announced the release of PAPPL 1.3, his printer application framework to help in developing CUPS Printer Applications as replacements to conventional printer drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How to replace CUPS with PAPPL in an any linux operating system? Is it enough to install the packages?

Comment

When is it scheduled the switch off between CUPS and PAPPL?

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
        How to replace CUPS with PAPPL in an any linux operating system? Is it enough to install the packages?
        To be honest, and this is an uneducated response, I am not sure it exactly works that way. I think these are related but not the same. I have not fully wrapped my head around all of this yet, but I don't think PAPPL can just be a drop-in replacements for CUPS. Someone who knows way more than I would need to elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

To be honest, and this is an uneducated response, I am not sure it exactly works that way. I think these are related but not the same. I have not fully wrapped my head around all of this yet, but I don't think PAPPL can just be a drop-in replacements for CUPS. Someone who knows way more than I would need to elaborate.
          PAPPL ia a framework to make drivers like CUPS.

Comment

Guys, can you just stop speculating and just read the damned article? There's even a link to the project website at the end of it. Go educate yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
              Guys, can you just stop speculating and just read the damned article? There's even a link to the project website at the end of it. Go educate yourselves.
              PAPPL is a simple C-based framework/library for developing CUPS Printer Applications, which are the recommended replacement for printer drivers. It was specifically developed to support LPrint and a future Gutenprint Printer Application but is sufficiently general purpose to support any kind of printer or driver that can be used on desktops, servers, and in embedded environments.​

What is going to replace PAPPL exactly?
              Last edited by MorrisS.; 03 December 2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

When is it scheduled the switch off between CUPS and PAPPL?

Both of these have a key mistake. CUPS as a printer server solution is going no where. In fact it coming two solutions with CUPS 3.0 local that does not have a web interface and sharing server that does provide web interface.

PAPPL replaces CUPS printer drivers that interface is limited by PPD file design. PAPPL removes the PPD limitation.

PAPPL is a simple C-based framework/library for developing CUPS Printer Applications, which are the recommended replacement for printer drivers. It was specifically developed to support LPrint and a future Gutenprint Printer Application but is sufficiently general purpose to support any kind of printer or driver that can be used on desktops, servers, and in embedded environments.​

What is going to replace PAPPL exactly?
                That a good question what going to replace PAPPL. Think modern driverless printers you don't need individual printer drivers any more of them people with only driver-less printers will not need any CUPS printer drivers or PAPPL stuff either. So why in the core part of CUPS have driver support code in future as this could be creating a security risk for users who don't need CUPS printer drivers.

PAPPL provides the same interfaces to the CUPS local/sharing server as what a driverless printer using IPP Everywhere​ would have. PAPPL since they run as there own programs can have individual security isolation done around them.

PAPPL for majority of cases will be for only legacy printer support. Because the majority of us going forwards will be using driver-less printers

Yes driverless printers reduce all printers to 1 of 3 different standards. The 3 standards are IPP Everywhere,AirPrint and Mopria. Yes​ all three standards are in fact based on the IPP protocol.

Driverless printing future is coming the normal. But we still need to support legacy printers. PAPPL is about supporting legacy printers.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

https://lpc.events/event/16/contribu...-cups-2022.pdf
                  Both of these have a key mistake. CUPS as a printer server solution is going no where. In fact it coming two solutions with CUPS 3.0 local that does not have a web interface and sharing server that does provide web interface.

PAPPL replaces CUPS printer drivers that interface is limited by PPD file design. PAPPL removes the PPD limitation.

That a good question what going to replace PAPPL. Think modern driverless printers you don't need individual printer drivers any more of them people with only driver-less printers will not need any CUPS printer drivers or PAPPL stuff either. So why in the core part of CUPS have driver support code in future as this could be creating a security risk for users who don't need CUPS printer drivers.

PAPPL provides the same interfaces to the CUPS local/sharing server as what a driverless printer using IPP Everywhere​ would have. PAPPL since they run as there own programs can have individual security isolation done around them.

PAPPL for majority of cases will be for only legacy printer support. Because the majority of us going forwards will be using driver-less printers

Yes driverless printers reduce all printers to 1 of 3 different standards. The 3 standards are IPP Everywhere,AirPrint and Mopria. Yes​ all three standards are in fact based on the IPP protocol.

Driverless printing future is coming the normal. But we still need to support legacy printers. PAPPL is about supporting legacy printers.
                  Many thanks for your sublime answer.
                  So IPP Everywhere is the current future application for printers. Here why my printer driver is stated as driverless. Likely, PAPPL will be useful to improve the printer routing among several routers until the printer in a manifold LAN.
                  Last edited by MorrisS.; 03 December 2022, 06:03 PM.

Comment

the hero's name is sweet he should use a pineapple with a printer in the middle as the logo

Comment

Working...
                    X