Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

Many thanks for your sublime answer.
    So IPP Everywhere is the current future application for printers. Here why my printer driver is stated as driverless. Likely, PAPPL will be useful to improve the printer routing among several routers until the printer.
    PAPPL is for the old printers that don't support IPP Everywhere to make them under the IPP Everywhere interfaces to the CUPS printer servers and other print servers.

Routing will remain job of CUPS under Linux be it CUPS local or CUPS sharing going forwards.

PAPPL is just a required stop gap.

Comment

How to replace CUPS with PAPPL in an any linux operating system? Is it enough to install the packages?
      PAPPL does not replace CUPS, it provides the necessary framework to replace CUPS printer drivers.

Comment

When is it scheduled the switch off between CUPS and PAPPL?
        Never.

PAPPL enables the easy creation of Printer Applications, which essentially put a printer driver in an Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) service wrapper. CUPS can then access those printers in the same way as a modern printer, where modern here is most printers sold since the early 2010s - the exceptions these days are industrial label/receipt printers, ID card printers, and certain large format printers, but that it changing.

The focus of printer applications is to allow CUPS to move away from PostScript Printer Description (PPD) files and from mixing low-level printer details into the printing system, which causes all sorts of problems. Printer applications allow the driver to fully support a printer's features, and for CUPS to provide a more consistent user experience.

Comment

Originally posted by printman View Post

Never.

PAPPL enables the easy creation of Printer Applications, which essentially put a printer driver in an Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) service wrapper. CUPS can then access those printers in the same way as a modern printer, where modern here is most printers sold since the early 2010s - the exceptions these days are industrial label/receipt printers, ID card printers, and certain large format printers, but that it changing.

The focus of printer applications is to allow CUPS to move away from PostScript Printer Description (PPD) files and from mixing low-level printer details into the printing system, which causes all sorts of problems. Printer applications allow the driver to fully support a printer's features, and for CUPS to provide a more consistent user experience.
          Is PAPPL useful for the latest printersl? I remember that I bought a lan card for an old printer so to make the printer available in the LAN. It seems that PAPPAL makes the same function but in this case, has the printer be linked to the router or it is sufficient it is linked to any client?
          Last edited by MorrisS.; 04 December 2022, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Is PAPPL useful for latest printersl? I remember that I bought a lan card for an old printer so to make the printer available in the LAN. It seems that PAPPAL makes the same function but in this case, has the printer be linked to the router or it is sufficient it is linked to any client?
            Most of the latest printers have network interfaces and support for IPP in some form (AirPrint, IPP Everywhere, Mopria) which CUPS can use with its built-in IPP Everywhere "driver". Even for USB printers there is something called IPP-USB that allows a computer to talk to the printer using IPP over the USB, so CUPS is able to work without special printer drivers almost all the time.

If you are using a printer application based on PAPPL (right now, that is all of them ) then the printer can be connected via USB or over a network interface. For the printer(s) you are using to be available to other systems/mobile devices on your network, the system you are running the printer application on naturally needs to be on the network as well. And when I say "system", that is a very loose category - I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W in my home office that is connected to a bunch of label printers over USB and running LPrint (a PAPPL-based printer application for label printers) to make those label printers available to all of our computers, iPhones, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by printman View Post

Most of the latest printers have network interfaces and support for IPP in some form (AirPrint, IPP Everywhere, Mopria) which CUPS can use with its built-in IPP Everywhere "driver". Even for USB printers there is something called IPP-USB that allows a computer to talk to the printer using IPP over the USB, so CUPS is able to work without special printer drivers almost all the time.

If you are using a printer application based on PAPPL (right now, that is all of them ) then the printer can be connected via USB or over a network interface. For the printer(s) you are using to be available to other systems/mobile devices on your network, the system you are running the printer application on naturally needs to be on the network as well. And when I say "system", that is a very loose category - I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W in my home office that is connected to a bunch of label printers over USB and running LPrint (a PAPPL-based printer application for label printers) to make those label printers available to all of our computers, iPhones, etc.
              Really interesting. So PAPPL helps older printers by the USB connectivity avoiding the necessity of a printer lan card.

Comment

Really interesting. So PAPPL helps older printers by the USB connectivity avoiding the necessity of a printer lan card.
                Not exactly.

Small print servers using cups has been done for ages to avoid having to buy lan cards for printers. I still remember with some printers where the lan card was twice the cost of the printer. All PAPPL is new way todo the drivers for the legacy and exotic hardware.

A Label Printer Application. Contribute to michaelrsweet/lprint development by creating an account on GitHub.

lprint he mentions still need the cups library to function.

PAPPL can be used with old school serial and parallel connected printers as well. There are still Receipt ​printers made that are rs323.

Even if a printer has a printer lan card does not mean it does modern IPP. PAPPL is still need for older and exotic printers with lan cards going forwards to make them use the modern IPP Everywhere.

PAPPL is more stop gap. At some point in the future people will not have printers that need PAPPL any more if they are not using anything exotic. Printers are consumables.

CUPS sorting out it internals for a future that does not need individual Printer drivers need to break the old individual printer drivers out that is what PAPPL is.

Yes windows 10 and newer can in fact use PAPPL applications to provide printer support.

One driver source code for legacy and exotic printer drivers covering all major platforms is also PAPPL.

CUPS is not going away. PAPPL is a item that some point in future majority will not need. But in the short term we do need because people are not going to go out and buy all new printers.

Think some of your big business printers that do book binding and so on that can cost 10000+ dollars you are not going to want to change that just to be modern standard conforming. These printers were also problem child with the old PPD system of drivers of cups because they had features that did not map cleanly into CUPS PPD files.

PAPPL is a required update to the CUPS driver system and most likely be the final version at some point for all operating systems printer driver support for legacy and exotic printers not just ones with CUPS as their printer spool. Yes we are very close to the point where the only printer drivers required for legacy and exotic are PAPPL ones.

Comment

Working...
                X