Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin Working On An Advanced Tiling System

Phoronix: KDE's KWin Working On An Advanced Tiling System

It's been an exciting start to December in the KDE world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tiling! This is HUGE!
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Tiling! This is HUGE!
      Sure is. Looking forward to it.

Comment

We did it boys, sway is obsolete!!

Comment

I've moved to KDE today. I'm glad they're improving the Konsole UI. But there's way too many services enabled and settings available that it's really frustrating to use. Furthermore the customising of the "task manager" which is really the task bar is super overengineered - dash to panel and xfce4 managed to nail this with a simple 1 dimensional ordered layout system.

Comment

Very, very nice, but y'all need to revert the UI by ~10 years and unround the corners so the tiles look better...or copy Windows 11. It alternates between rounded corners for floating windows and squared off corners for tiling windows; best of both worlds.

My attention to weird details means that I can't help but notice that divot where corners meet when tiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
              I've moved to KDE today. I'm glad they're improving the Konsole UI. But there's way too many services enabled and settings available that it's really frustrating to use. Furthermore the customising of the "task manager" which is really the task bar is super overengineered - dash to panel and xfce4 managed to nail this with a simple 1 dimensional ordered layout system.
              Too many services? That depends on distro configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Very, very nice, but y'all need to revert the UI by ~10 years and unround the corners so the tiles look better...or copy Windows 11. It alternates between rounded corners for floating windows and squared off corners for tiling windows; best of both worlds.

My attention to weird details means that I can't help but notice that divot where corners meet when tiling.
                Or you can just change the theme to something else?

Comment

KDE Plasma is amazing!
                  Can't barely wait for its developers to start working on new features merged into the Wayland protocol (scaling and optional-tearing support).
                  And after that I hope somebody will be working on bringing HDR support.

Comment

Just tried Neon Unstable today and I must say that I was very impressed and pleased with this experience. It starts with X11 session but switching to Wayland is not hard at all. Some defaults are a bit weird here and there, like touchpad taps not activated to be interpreted as clicks, but that's easy to change.
                    If anyone wants to have a stable base system with up to date Plasma desktop on top of it, there's no better choice than Neon

Comment

Working...
                    X