No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon With Linux 6.1 + Mesa 23.0-dev vs. NVIDIA R525 Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon With Linux 6.1 + Mesa 23.0-dev vs. NVIDIA R525 Gaming Performance

Phoronix: AMD Radeon With Linux 6.1 + Mesa 23.0-dev vs. NVIDIA R525 Gaming Performance

With the Linux 6.1 kernel due to be released in the next week, Mesa 23.0-devel continuing to see a lot of improvements land for RADV and RadeonSI, and the NVIDIA R525 Linux driver series being available, here is a fresh look at the AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA GeForce Linux gaming performance with various graphics cards and an assortment of Linux games -- both native and via Valve's Steam Play.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Doesn't the NVIDIA driver have built-in application profiles for popular games? Doesn't this explain the lead it has even for lower end cards in some titles rather than a deficiency in the Mesa drivers? Unless you count the lack of application profiles as a deficiency of course!

Comment

I am happy with RX6800XT using freshly released 22.3.0 (not -devel or -rc)

Comment

What's interesting is that AMD has seemingly improved their OpenGL code by a lot! NVIDIA has always had an edge in OpenGL performance and now CSGO runs on AMD faster. Great job, AMD!

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
        Doesn't the NVIDIA driver have built-in application profiles for popular games? Doesn't this explain the lead it has even for lower end cards in some titles rather than a deficiency in the Mesa drivers? Unless you count the lack of application profiles as a deficiency of course!
        Yeah, NVIDIA has had such profiles for decades as well as AMD and Intel. I know lashing NVIDIA is a second nature of Linux fans but, oh, boy, maybe you should stop sometimes not to look silly. Multiple games continue to ship broken and you absolutely need to have workarounds because some developers cannot be bothered to fix their broken rendering code.

Comment

Hopefully Micheal will get an RX 7900 XTX to test. I am personally most interested in raytracing performance as I don’t want to upgrade for a while after my next upgrade. In rasterization the latest RDNA3 and 40series cards are more than enough for my needs.(4K60), So upping the quality settings in games is a pro including raytracing for me. I wasn’t impressed with the release presentation with regards to that, but hopefully I will be once reviews come out.

Comment

While I have no doubt the gaming experience on NVIDIA is perfectly fine, the whole lineup shows minimum framerates much lower than those of Intel and AMD in these tests.
            Can somebody confirm this is not an issue during gameplay? Just a one-time thing and then it settles close to the average? No evident stuttering? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Michael

Since the first screenshot of the article shows the newly released "The Callisto Protocol" game:

It has a built-in benchmark mode, might be worth looking into whether it can be automated.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                Michael

Since the first screenshot of the article shows the newly released "The Callisto Protocol" game:

It has a built-in benchmark mode, might be worth looking into whether it can be automated.
                Do you happen to own the game? Or anyone else... If so if they can run strings <name of the game.exe> | grep -i bench to see if there are any interesting hits for benchmark in the game binary...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                  Most game profiles are for Windows games inside their (bloated) Windows driver.

And since Windows' DirectX games are being translated to Vulkan on Linux anyway, specific game profiles for non-native games simply don't make any sense...

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
                    Hopefully Micheal will get an RX 7900 XTX to test. I am personally most interested in raytracing performance as I don’t want to upgrade for a while after my next upgrade. In rasterization the latest RDNA3 and 40series cards are more than enough for my needs.(4K60), So upping the quality settings in games is a pro including raytracing for me. I wasn’t impressed with the release presentation with regards to that, but hopefully I will be once reviews come out.
                    While certainly improved, the RTRT performance still will continue to trail nVidia's.

Comment

Working...
                    X