Xfce 4.18 Desktop Nears Release, New Development Release For Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.18 Desktop Nears Release, New Development Release For Testing

Phoronix: Xfce 4.18 Desktop Nears Release, New Development Release For Testing

The lightweight Xfce 4.18 desktop is planning to release in two weeks while out now is the Xfce 4.18 Pre2 development milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Uh nice, I have to see how far they are in terms of Wayland. I think in 4.17 the compositor and the panel didn't work with wayland.

> Xfce 4.18 is rather an incremental update to this lightweight Linux desktop.
    How uncommon for XFCE, typically they write a completely new DE with every subversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      Uh nice, I have to see how far they are in terms of Wayland. I think in 4.17 the compositor and the panel didn't work with wayland.

Comment

Only using it because wayland gnome triggers issu with games where AMD GPU driver hangs to a stage where machine is unresponsive or reboots.
        All in all, it does what it says on the tin.

Comment

XFCE4 is very far from being lightweight. One of the top3 heavyweight desktop environments between Gnome and KDE.

Manjaro is one of the Most popular Linux Distro. It has 3 editions GNOME, KDE, and XFCE.In this video will check the RAM comparison Between Manjaro 21.3.7 GN...

This video will show you how much memory (RAM) is consumed by GNOME vs KDE Plasma vs Xfce vs LXDE vs LXQt vs MATE vs Cinnamon on Debian 11 Bullseye.Subscribe...

Comment

Originally posted by ipsirc View Post
            XFCE4 is very far from being lightweight. One of the top3 heavyweight desktop environments between Gnome and KDE.

Manjaro is one of the Most popular Linux Distro. It has 3 editions GNOME, KDE, and XFCE.In this video will check the RAM comparison Between Manjaro 21.3.7 GN...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhs1PD9pDSY
            I would have been a little more critic if 2 benchmarks claim the exact opposit, atleast one or both are not representative.

Comment

I am personally super-satisfied with XFCE V4.16 which currently is in Debian testing. All I really need is the taskbar + a filemanager for emergencies. My "desktop" mainly consist of XFCE, DoubleCommander, DeaDBeeF, Pidgin and xterm. I think that the desktop environment simply should get out of the way and allow me to configure what I need such as disk,network and cpu/ram monitoring in a "tray" or mini widget on the taskbar. The only "bling" I really miss from XFCE is a more useful task switcher e.g. alt-tab'er that could do windows in a cirle/desktop wall/expo etc... such as compiz can. Other than that , I really miss nothing

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                How uncommon for XFCE, typically they write a completely new DE with every subversion.
                Thanks to GTK major version "compatibility". All issues in xfce were after switching from GTK 2 to GTK 3.
                Last edited by Monsterovich; 02 December 2022, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ipsirc View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhs1PD9pDSY
                  In the past, GTK could be opposed to Qt by the lightness of the framework. Now Qt applications consume almost less than GTK. And Qt has more features, while GTK throws features out with every major release, also coming up with questionable solutions like CSD (aka f*ck window managers) and libadwaita (aka f*ck themes)
                  Last edited by Monsterovich; 04 December 2022, 09:17 PM.

Comment

I also noticed Michael calls Xfce "lightweight", despite his own testing repeatedly showing it's lighter than other DEs only in features (NB that's not necessarily a bad thing).

Comment

Working...
                    X