Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NixOS 22.11 Released With Better AArch64 Support, NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Driver Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NixOS 22.11 Released With Better AArch64 Support, NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Driver Option

Phoronix: NixOS 22.11 Released With Better AArch64 Support, NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Driver Option

NixOS as the Linux distribution built atop the purely-functional and declarative Nix package manager is out with a new release to kickoff December...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/NixOS-22.11-Released

nice, i've just switched my nas over to the new release. went flawless and fast

Comment

Switched from Arch to NixOS a couple of weeks ago. Deep learning curve but very much worth it if you want something reproducible with generational + atomic updates and the ability to mix and match different software versions together without issue. I never have to worry about breaking my OS again

Comment

I should test this again.

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post
          Switched from Arch to NixOS a couple of weeks ago. Deep learning curve but very much worth it if you want something reproducible with generational + atomic updates and the ability to mix and match different software versions together without issue. I never have to worry about breaking my OS again
          Uh, same here. Didn't work at first as my hardware was too new, but I switched to the unstable channel and then magically things came together. Now I can probably switch back to stable.

Comment

Once I am fluent with their lisp dialect I might be tempted to completely switch over to nixos. It's not like that I am missing outlandish packages in standard repos

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              Once I am fluent with their lisp dialect I might be tempted to completely switch over to nixos. It's not like that I am missing outlandish packages in standard repos
              Nix does not use Lisp. Are you thinking of Guix (the same approach and a fork of Nix, but using Scheme)?

Comment

NixOS gets better with every release.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Uh, same here. Didn't work at first as my hardware was too new, but I switched to the unstable channel and then magically things came together. Now I can probably switch back to stable.
                  This should work even on stable:
                  Code:
                  boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_latest;

Comment

Originally posted by misuzu View Post

This should work even on stable:
                    Code:
                    boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_latest;
                    Ah, I tried that, too.
                    Booting was fine, amdgpu however was too old. And the latest kernel didn't build Nvidia drivers (stupid proprietary stuff, but I still need that until I use this card).

Comment

Working...
                    X