SDL Tries Again To Prefer Wayland Over X11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morty View Post
    Not really a SDL issue. The bug is in your Wayland compositor for not supporting server side decoration. Switch to a non broken compositor.
    No. I want to use libdecore. My compositor supports it fine. it is an SDL issue since SDL implements this feature and its busted.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

x.45? You live in the future. Reality just arrived at 43.

breaks all your plugins? You mean extensions written against the code of 38 or whatever you used now can't run against the code of 43? WOW, UNBELIEVABLE. And it gets worse, your Gnome 2.x extensions won't work on 43 too.

And good at last, the file roller drag and drop issue. Ah yes. It uses a very ugly hack to get that working on GTK3 and X11, which is gone now.
      Someone has to do the unbearable work to port file-roller forward to GTK4 and then implement drag and drop properly. Which is happening right now. It just does not have much priority as file-roller is not a core app and nautilus does handle most of its functionality itself.
      Gosh, I didn't mean the versioning literally. Are you always this mad over versioning numbers? Lol.

Just that each version breaks a ton of extensions. Ask any extension developer. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724

Torchlight 2, the game released years ago? Would it just-work with SDL 3.0?

I have that game on Steam and haven't really messed with it on Linux yet.
        There's a way to force the game to use the system SDL instead of the embedded one. I was successful doing this, but the game still uses xwayland because of the sdl preferences. But once it defaults to native wayland I pretend to test how this old native game run using native wayland instead of xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post

There's a way to force the game to use the system SDL instead of the embedded one. I was successful doing this, but the game still uses xwayland because of the sdl preferences. But once it defaults to native wayland I pretend to test how this old native game run using native wayland instead of xorg.
          Steam Overlay doesn't support Wayland so we're expected to have XWayland for a *long* time still.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
            I just tested with few simple games like Xonotic and it works fine on Wayland, but still couldn't manage to make it open in full screen on second screen. I can move it around like any other window, but then changing resolution brings it back to the first output it can find.
            Strange, 'cause Rexuiz works fine for me on Wayland in full screen. And Rexuiz is Xonotic's brother - they even share a whole lot of code.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
              ...try to run Wayland instead of x11. Either it doesn’t work at all, crashes after a few minutes, or has some weird bug(s) that make it unusable. And then I go back to x11 again.
              This is so different from my experience. I think I've been daily-driving Wayland Ubuntu sessions since 18.04, for work and play, and I prefer it. I've been eagerly testing recreational packages like my emulators and some games that use SDL (e.g., BasiliskII and 0AD), and there seems to be some sort of barely-imperceptible 'goodness' to how games and web browsers feel under native Wayland, but I guess that's probably the lack of tearing, even if the framerate is slightly lower. Then again, I'm not a big gamer, and I'm using Intel Graphics.

I'm excited to see this transition, a lot of 'silly bugs' are finally getting resolved as the transition to Wayland permeates the stacks under applications and the developers maintaining them.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

No. I want to use libdecore. My compositor supports it fine.
                Why? If your compositor supports server side decoration, why would you not use SDL the way the developers of SDL reccomend? Rather than with the "crutch" they slapped on to give minimal support to compositor with only client side decoration support.

Comment

Originally posted by Morty View Post
                  Why? If your compositor supports server side decoration, why would you not use SDL the way the developers of SDL reccomend? Rather than with the "crutch" they slapped on to give minimal support to compositor with only client side decoration support.
                  because I simply prefer client side decor, and at least on wayfire right now, it's either on or off across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I just recently installed Arch on a Nvidia based system. The installer recommended against using Sway and other Wayland DEs. It also seemed to launch Gnome in Xorg mode. So at least this ricer distro prefers Xorg.
                    What's a "ricer distro" ?

You have nvidia, sway does not work with shitware, get a real graphics card noob.

Comment

Haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X