No announcement yet.

The Intel Core i9 13900K "Raptor Lake" Performance From Linux 5.15 To Linux 6.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intel Core i9 13900K "Raptor Lake" Performance From Linux 5.15 To Linux 6.1

Phoronix: The Intel Core i9 13900K "Raptor Lake" Performance From Linux 5.15 To Linux 6.1

For those of you upgrading to an Intel 13th Gen Core "Raptor Lake" system this holiday season, here are some benchmarks looking at how the varying kernel versions affect the Core i9 13900K flagship performance. Testing started using the Linux 5.15 LTS kernel shipped by Ubuntu 22.04 LTS currently and ends with the Linux 6.1 Git snapshot of that kernel nearing its official release and what is expected to be this year's LTS kernel version.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, this is the opposite of what I was expecting. I thought I had read about a *huge* amount of perf work having gone into 5.19 and later kernels (i.e., io_uring, etc.). Geometric mean aside, a lot of those charts show 6.x kernel dropping way back in terms of perf. I'd surmise there's more than meets the eye but the numbers and graphs sure tell a story. Ouch.

Comment

I agree with kozman, definitely not what I expected. Appreciate seeing these test results.

Comment

I am confused as well about the regressions. Wasn't it supposed that the PBRSB-eIBRS mitigation only concerns code running inside a virtual machine?

Comment

Would make more sense with the proper governor instead of powersave.

Comment

Wow appreciate the testing Michael. Hope you are able to provide for your family for the foreseeable future with Phronoix. Looking forward to the *BSD testing on Raptor Lake whenever you get to it!

Comment

First i3 then i5 now all the way to i9 when does it stop? Why does Intel see the need to confuse the customer with two entirely separate versions? Why not just stick with something sensible like 13900K? I barely understand what I'm buying anymore...

Comment

Try recompiling and turning off all the security stuff in the kernel. I managed to build my Vue 2 website $25ish% faster.

Comment

mhh this is strange. Thanks for the benchmarks. I wish more Kernel Devs would stick around here..

Comment

An other possible interpretation : Intel 13th gen is outdated and doesn't allow modern softwares to run at their best level.

Comment

Working...
                    X