NVIDIA 525.60.11 Linux Driver Released With Many Fixes, Vulkan Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 525.60.11 Linux Driver Released With Many Fixes, Vulkan Improvements

Phoronix: NVIDIA 525.60.11 Linux Driver Released With Many Fixes, Vulkan Improvements

Following the NVIDIA 525.53 Linux beta from earlier this month, NVIDIA is closing out November by releasing the v525.60.11 driver as their first stable Linux driver in the R525 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And I still have no idea what "over-the-air updates" means in this context.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      There are some NGX modules required to make DLSS work in Wine/Proton, perhaps they need to get updated to make DLSS work in future games and this would take care of this.
      Or it's about DLSS itself, which GeForce Experience apparently can update on runtime/on the fly on Windows (which isn't that helpful, as Nvidia consistently ships DLSS versions that suck vs. others, for reasons no one understands).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        There are some NGX modules required to make DLSS work in Wine/Proton, perhaps they need to get updated to make DLSS work in future games and this would take care of this.
        Or it's about DLSS itself, which GeForce Experience apparently can update on runtime/on the fly on Windows (which isn't that helpful, as Nvidia consistently ships DLSS versions that suck vs. others, for reasons no one understands).
        Still doesn't explain the "over-the-air" part. I mean, won't they work if I'm using wired Ethernet?

Comment

Still doesn't explain the "over-the-air" part.
          The modules could get updated via download upon program start, this seems to be what GFE or NGX driver update component on Windows do.

Comment

Over the Air or OTA in this case means that updates will be fetched and applied without the need for you to issue the call. They will simply "happen" when they are available to be fetched. There are 2 modes for this, automatic and manual, but am guessing, if they have it behind a boolean parameter, OFF would be manually applied (meaning you would need to do something on your end with proton), while ON means it will do the whole updating part without the user needing to do anything.
            Linux Gaming - https://youtube.com/@xtremelinux

Comment

Still doesn't explain the "over-the-air" part. I mean, won't they work if I'm using wired Ethernet?

Maybe it's time to change this to "over-the-fiber"?

Comment

I have the impression NVIDIA is missusing the OTA-Term.

Comment

The driver can update its DLSS profiles anytime, without requiring a driver upgrade.
                  So that Nvidia can push DLSS updates to users more frequently and you don't have to wait until the next driver release is out to get them.

At least that's how I interpret it.
                  This is how it works on Geforce Experience as well, where Nvidia can push a DLSS profile of a freshly released game.
                  Geforce Experience will casually install updates without much user notification and certainly no need to upgrade drivers.

On topic: Nice list of bugfixes, but only ONE Wayland fix?
                  This list of wayland issues is from May already and the vast majority of them remain not addressed: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...release/214275

Ugh, Wayland's gonna suck on Nvidia still.
                  Last edited by Degra; 28 November 2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Do Nvidia drivers support DSC (Display Stream Compression) on Linux?

Comment

Working...
                    X