Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Developers Announce Work On New "Composefs" File-System

Phoronix: Red Hat Developers Announce Work On New "Composefs" File-System

Red Hat engineers this morning for the first time publicly announced their work on Composefs, a new opportunistically-sharing and verified image file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why not just use erofs? NIH syndrome?

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
      Does it allow sharing between mounts?
      I'm actually surprised regular OverlayFS (IIUC the article) doesn't. I mean, it's common sense, the shared layers should share page cache. I assumed that was already how it worked. Or is it about file granularity sharing for intersecting-but-not-same images? Isn't the idea for those to build on top of each other without duplicating files?

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

I'm actually surprised regular OverlayFS (IIUC the article) doesn't. I mean, it's common sense, the shared layers should share page cache. I assumed that was already how it worked. Or is it about file granularity sharing for intersecting-but-not-same images? Isn't the idea for those to build on top of each other without duplicating files?
        As far as I understand, it's about sharing with intersecting images. But I don't quite understand what composefs gives you over read-only overlayfs here.

Comment

Actually someone asked me, and my answer was why not consider finer sharing chunk-based blobs rather than file-based OSTree-like blobs. I just asked him to ask the community about this path first but soon they insisted on reinventing this :-)

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Yes, see: https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.1-EROFS
          Last edited by hsiangkao; 28 November 2022, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I believe they do very different things

composefs isn't a physical file system, it doesn't change how data is stored on disk and uses a backing filesystem (e.g. XFS, btrfs etc). It's basically a way to say get these files, put them here and there, without copying them, mark them read-only with these properties and have a verifiable signature when loading them.

It's basically for OStree and means it no longer needs to build a bazillion hard links that are susceptible to modification if you mount the directory as rw. It's also useful in containers since the container root filesystem can be a compiled composefs image and use a git-like object store for deduplication in user space.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

composefs isn't a physical file system, it doesn't change how data is stored on disk and uses a backing filesystem (e.g. XFS, btrfs etc). It's basically a way to say get these files, put them here and there, without copying them, mark them read-only with these properties and have a verifiable signature when loading them.
              EROFS can get a lot blobs from backing-fses with new fscache feature as well, but in the form of chunk-based sharing, which means one blob can have a part of a file _or_ an entire file (just like what OSTree now does) _or_ several files. I wonder why OSTree per-file sharing is an effective model after introducing a filesystem with some actual metadata since we can do finer chunk-based sharing with a brand new filesystem (actually that is what composefs does as well) rather than insist on hardlink-like per-file sharing as OSTree
              Last edited by hsiangkao; 28 November 2022, 10:16 PM.

Comment

So eventually at Team Red someone realized that Snap made by Team Orange was somehow good but just made poorly...

We should invent a slogan for Linux...

Linux where everyday something magical happens...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                  So eventually at Team Red someone realized that Snap made by Team Orange was somehow good but just made poorly...

We should invent a slogan for Linux...

This is way more similar to how Flatpak does things than Snap.

Comment

So first Stratis and now Composefs? I know they are different but still, two filesystems in development by the same company seems like a bit much to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X