Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway 1.8-rc1 Wayland Compositor Brings More Secure Screen Lockers, Improved Vulkan Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.8-rc1 Wayland Compositor Brings More Secure Screen Lockers, Improved Vulkan Code

Phoronix: Sway 1.8-rc1 Wayland Compositor Brings More Secure Screen Lockers, Improved Vulkan Code

The first release candidate of the Sway 1.8 Wayland compositor is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But I want secure attention key (SAK) which Windows have using Ctrl+Alt+Del, which is a special key combination that only can be read by the compositor/shell and cannot be intercepted by other software to present a fake login screen in order to steal user credentials.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      But I want secure attention key (SAK) which Windows have using Ctrl+Alt+Del, which is a special key combination that only can be read by the compositor/shell and cannot be intercepted by other software to present a fake login screen in order to steal user credentials.
      Sorry to say that is not how that works. Ctrl-alt-delete under windows does not go to the compositor/shell the reality it goes to compositor/windows logon.

Shell under windows is replaceable

You would not have played around with blackbox shell under windows to know shell does not capture Ctrl+Alt+Del at all.

Does pay to know what you are asking for.

Comment

Does this mean that wl-roots can use Vulkan now? I wonder if Kwin-ft can do that as well.

Comment

A missing description:

Sway is a tiling Wayland compositor and a drop-in replacement for the i3 window manager for X11. It works with your existing i3 configuration and supports most of i3's features, plus a few extras.

Sway allows you to arrange your application windows logically, rather than spatially. Windows are arranged into a grid by default which maximizes the efficiency of your screen and can be quickly manipulated using only the keyboard.

Comment

Im pretty sure this build also pushes the fix for nested touch events to work, which is pretty major for my use case (nested compositor over waypipe) so yay.

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Does this mean that wl-roots can use Vulkan now? I wonder if Kwin-ft can do that as well.
            wlroots has been able to use vulkan for a while, the issue most people will run into, specifically AMD folk, is that polaris and below wont work due to missing VK extensions.

Comment

No known insecurities in slock for X, though, are there? Seems this increased security is just a perception with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by make_adobe_on_Linux! View Post
                No known insecurities in slock for X, though, are there? Seems this increased security is just a perception with Wayland.
                Wayland has never been about security or X.org's insecurity. It's a stupid myth no one has been able to dispel.

Wayland was created because no one wanted to hack X.org (server) any longer and the X11 protocol had some glaring issues which were near impossible to fix.

Wayland is also brain damaged (requires multiple server implementations when X11 had just one). All the talks about wlroots are BS, plain and simple. This library does not solve this issue and never will.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  Wayland is also brain damaged (requires multiple server implementations when X11 had just one). All the talks about wlroots are BS, plain and simple. This library does not solve this issue and never will.
                  The majority of those with significant experience seem to agree, but it seems there is funding trying to make them seem insignificant: https://gist.github.com/probonopd/9f...5e3a9f2d1f2277

Comment

Finally Jamie Zawinski can have some peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X