Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Protocol Finally Ready For Fractional Scaling

Phoronix: Wayland Protocol Finally Ready For Fractional Scaling

After many months of work, the wp-fractional-scale-v1 protocol for Wayland is set to be merged imminently for fractional scaling support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow wow wow wow now we only need color management + hdr protocol and the hell will freeze over!
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

We're living in the future!

Comment

took only 14 years to add to protocol core functionality.

Like always, important protocol changes actually needed are proposed by Simon Ser.

Comment

Eureka! Would say Archimedes

Comment

Hope to see Steam client at 150% scaling while I'm still alive

On Linux, not on Шindoшs, of course.

Comment

I'm waiting for surface suspension

Comment

Halleluya! Now about 2 more years for compositors and clients to adopt it. At least it's happening!

Originally posted by murlakatamenka View Post
                Hope to see Steam client at 150% scaling while I'm still alive

On Linux, not on Шindoшs, of course.
                Valve might do an absolute magic with the Linux graphics stack, games compatibility, heck other parts like the desktop, Wayland protocol, Flatpak, you name it, but they'll never fix that old-ass client. It will remain 32bit X11 only laggy mess that it is for the time being, period.
                Last edited by bple2137; 25 November 2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  Wow wow wow wow now we only need color management + hdr protocol and the hell will freeze over!
                  That's the one that would make me the most happy!
                  I still miss Windows because I cannot push HDR-enabled movies or Youtube videos to my HDR-capable TV.
                  Putting movies on a pen drive and stick it in the TV is not something that I like to do much when I want to watch a HDR-enabled movie.

So, I'm really glad that other work is out of the way for the developers to focus on supporting color management and HDR.

Honestly I wish Valve would give a hand with this as it would benefit their users a lot with being able to play HDR-enabled movies, Youtube videos and games on the Steam Deck, besides Linux computers in general.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    Nope. 10-bit color, HDMI CEC, HDMI Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), VESA Adaptive-Sync, Nvidia G-Sync, AMD FreeSync. Deep color 30-bit (10 bits per channel), 36-bit (12 bits per channel), 48-bit (16 bits per channel).

Comment

Working...
                    X