Wayland Protocol Finally Ready For Fractional Scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing how long it took.
    I don't think most of us will live to see a Linux desktop/notebook running a basic DE pushing HDR to your capable screen/tv.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
      Seeing how long it took.
      I don't think most of us will live to see a Linux desktop/notebook running a basic DE pushing HDR to your capable screen/tv.
      Maybe so, but it's more important to go knowing it will be properly designed (some day), than to go having had to use something less that perfect
      Last edited by bug77; 25 November 2022, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        Honestly it is pretty useless(blurs the image and it doesn't bring much that just increasing the fonts won't bring to most people) but i am glad it exists so that means that all the chronic complainers will stop pestering every news article with their hate for Wayland.
        Wayland protocol integer scaling if you are just using that only does not blur images in all cases because it client side/application so if it is a higher quality image being downgrade the client side can just render higher for the scale. This fractional scaling is also Client side same effect.

Compositor side scaling(fractional and integer) that still will have to exist for applications that don't have fractional scale functionality or will not scale.

Increasing fonts is a global thing. With people hooking up screens of different DPI and with people at different viewing distances there comes a needs for what has been added.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          Archimedes would say "wtf is Wayland??" (in ancient Greek)

Really it would be a interesting answer to get. "Wayland the Smith" story we don't know for sure how old the story is or how old is the person name Wayland or how common before the Wayland the Smith story was so it could be with Archimedes say he had heard of Saami people person to had the name Wayland in his life time.

We can bet naming a person Wayland fell out of favor once the story Wayland the Smith took off. Also we don't know when exactly the greek people had contact with the Saami people.

Wayland is not a new name. Yes this means asking Archimedes could get some very interesting responses. Wayland the Smith story does tell you that the first developer of the Wayland protocol did know that this was going to be a hard problem to get right and was going to have different people not agreeing with the development directions.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Really it would be a interesting answer to get. "Wayland the Smith" story we don't know for sure how old the story is or how old is the person name Wayland or how common before the Wayland the Smith story was so it could be with Archimedes say he had heard of Saami people person to had the name Wayland in his life time.

We can bet naming a person Wayland fell out of favor once the story Wayland the Smith took off. Also we don't know when exactly the greek people had contact with the Saami people.

Wayland is not a new name. Yes this means asking Archimedes could get some very interesting responses. Wayland the Smith story does tell you that the first developer of the Wayland protocol did know that this was going to be a hard problem to get right and was going to have different people not agreeing with the development directions.
            He actually named it after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland,_Massachusetts
            He was driving through there when he had the idea of a new protocol. iirc

Comment

Will this be in Wayland 1.4 or is it a big enough feature upgrade to be called Wayland 2.0?

(1.3 was just recently released)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Nope. 10-bit color, HDMI CEC, HDMI Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), VESA Adaptive-Sync, Nvidia G-Sync, AMD FreeSync. Deep color 30-bit (10 bits per channel), 36-bit (12 bits per channel), 48-bit (16 bits per channel).
                VESA Adaptive Sync and AMD Freesync have been working for months on Wayland now, at least on my installs.

Comment

Originally posted by ireri View Post

And by future, you mean past, right?
                  Future Nostalgia. ©

Comment

Originally posted by ireri View Post

And by future, you mean past, right?, all this is taking way too long to arrive, other platforms have had it for years.
                    And by "whoosh" it means "sarcasm"

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

VESA Adaptive Sync and AMD Freesync have been working for months on Wayland now, at least on my installs.
                      Yes i can confirm that it works out of the box
                      with KDE Plasma 5.26 on my end too. Since AMD Freesync is just a brandname for their implementation of Vesa Adaptive Sync they are both supported. Support for VRR technologies is delivered through the Waylandcompositor (in my case Kwin), there is no support via the waylandprotocol itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X