Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 Patches Already Surfacing For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 Patches Already Surfacing For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 Patches Already Surfacing For The Linux Kernel

It was just last week that Qualcomm unveiled the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 flagship SoC and thanks to their work with Linaro engineers, there are already patches under review for enabling this high-end Snapdragon chipset for the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, I guess that means if any Snappy 8G2 phone or device gets an unlocked bootloader, we should be able to get Linux working in little time. I wonder what games that SoC could run on Box or Fex

Comment

Sooo, does this means that android will get more than 3 years updates?

Comment

Someone has to make actual hardware that allows one to run mainline Linux with anything Qualcomm Snapdragon.

I have a Snapdragon 7c desktop and it has special UFS partition to keep people from running Linux on it.

Also they (Qualcomm) likes to control the ecosystem around their SOC's like they do on cell phones.

So unless they loosen the reigns and let OEM's get creative with customer platforms, Snapdragon is a dead end walled garden with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          Someone has to make actual hardware that allows one to run mainline Linux with anything Qualcomm Snapdragon.

I have a Snapdragon 7c desktop and it has special UFS partition to keep people from running Linux on it.

Also they (Qualcomm) likes to control the ecosystem around their SOC's like they do on cell phones.

So unless they loosen the reigns and let OEM's get creative with customer platforms, Snapdragon is a dead end walled garden with Linux.
          Every 7c chromebook has upstream kernel support (since even before they shipped). Not sure what you mean by "special UFS partition to keep people from running Linux", but all the snapdragon windows laptops I am aware of allow disabling secure boot in the BIOS menu. And there are plenty of qc phones with upstream linux support. So I'm not entirely sure what you are talking about ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post

Every 7c chromebook has upstream kernel support (since even before they shipped). Not sure what you mean by "special UFS partition to keep people from running Linux", but all the snapdragon windows laptops I am aware of allow disabling secure boot in the BIOS menu. And there are plenty of qc phones with upstream linux support. So I'm not entirely sure what you are talking about ;-)
            I get to grub and no farther. Partition is non-writable. Yes, secure boot is off and all that jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

I get to grub and no farther. Partition is non-writable. Yes, secure boot is off and all that jazz.
              I would guess that the "special UFS partition" is where the BIOS/UEFI is stored (to save the cost of having a separate spi flash part). There seems to be some work ongoing to get 7c windows laptops working with linux on #aarch64-laptops on OFTC. "earlycon=efifb console=efifb" might give some hints (at least up until the point where SMMU probes)

Comment

Working...
              X