X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by simburde View Post

Launchers are not that bad when it's the only way to configure a game. It becomes annoying when launchers start to demand an external account to run a game.

Forcing no-launcher policy would do no good neither for gamers left without games, no for Valve left without revenue. To change the situation Valve can introduce some form of launcher tax, like extra 2% for new titles using launchers with external authorization. This would make publishers think twice before putting this crap into their games.
    Wrong. Launchers cause issues with controllers and remote play.

Leave a comment:

• Thaodan
    replied
    Originally posted by rdeleonp View Post

Valves official recommendations regarding launchers are to:Yes, basically the same recommendation in 2 different pages at the Steamworks site.

Maybe after the Steam Deck (and, by extension, SteamOS) reaches a considerably larger market share, VALVE could start forcing a no-launchers policy.
    Plus launchers are often a sign of a bad console port: consoles don't need settings, putting the settings in a separate app is a quick hack for PC ports.

Leave a comment:

• ffs_
    replied
    Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
    I think it's good they allow it. Gives you an easy way to filter out games that you don't want to buy.
    Yeah, true. ​ Sometimes I end up not buying some games only for that exact reason.
    Last edited by ffs_; 24 November 2022, 12:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rdeleonp
    replied
    Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

steam should go back on their policy and force games to not have extra launchers.

Launchers are not that bad when it's the only way to configure a game. It becomes annoying when launchers start to demand an external account to run a game.

Forcing no-launcher policy would do no good neither for gamers left without games, no for Valve left without revenue. To change the situation Valve can introduce some form of launcher tax, like extra 2% for new titles using launchers with external authorization. This would make publishers think twice before putting this crap into their games.
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That. Configuration launchers are just fine and actually serve a purpose.

I hate multi-account launcher games. Epic launches Ubisoft which....son of a....you haven't launched this for a while, check yer email and do 2FA...finally, FINALLY launches a game.
    Valves official recommendations regarding launchers are to:Yes, basically the same recommendation in 2 different pages at the Steamworks site.

Maybe after the Steam Deck (and, by extension, SteamOS) reaches a considerably larger market share, VALVE could start forcing a no-launchers policy.

Leave a comment:

• Luis Alvarado
    replied
    Hi RealNC, there are some games that DO NOT work with mangoHud. I still do not know if it is a mangohud issue or the game itself. For example Bendy and the dark revival will not launch and simply crash if we use mangohud. Without it, it works fine for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I installed proton as a replacement for wine on Gentoo. It seems to be a fine drop-in replacement. Except that mangohud doesn't work with it. No idea why

Leave a comment:

• Luis Alvarado
    replied
    Hell yeah. Awesome news. I am benchmarking a bunch of games here https://youtube.com/@xtremelinux with this release. Just using some latest hardware on it thanks to feedback from Phoronix.

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

steam should go back on their policy and force games to not have extra launchers.
    I think it's good they allow it. Gives you an easy way to filter out games that you don't want to buy.

Leave a comment:

• liamdawe
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    Still no fix for the new EA web app? Battlefield 1 and many other EA games are broken for weeks now since EA forced their crapware on Steam users. My addiction is strong, so please fix it!
    There's a workaround available here.

Originally posted by Phoronix
    Valve has officially released Proton 7.0-5 as the newest version of their Wine downstream...
    Technically not properly released, as it's in Proton Next for testing. The tweet you included even says that pretty clearly.
    Last edited by liamdawe; 23 November 2022, 12:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

That. Configuration launchers are just fine and actually serve a purpose.

I hate multi-account launcher games. Epic launches Ubisoft which....son of a....you haven't launched this for a while, check yer email and do 2FA...finally, FINALLY launches a game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X