Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton 7.0-5 Gets More Games Running On Linux & The Steam Deck

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Proton 7.0-5 Gets More Games Running On Linux & The Steam Deck

    Phoronix: Proton 7.0-5 Gets More Games Running On Linux & The Steam Deck

    Valve has officially released Proton 7.0-5 as the newest version of their Wine downstream that powers Steam Play for enjoying countless Windows games on Linux, most notably now with the Steam Deck. Valve has also introduced "Proton Next" as their new testing grounds for future Proton updates...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/Proton-7.0-5-Released

  • #2
    Still no fix for the new EA web app? Battlefield 1 and many other EA games are broken for weeks now since EA forced their crapware on Steam users. My addiction is strong, so please fix it!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      Still no fix for the new EA web app? Battlefield 1 and many other EA games are broken for weeks now since EA forced their crapware on Steam users. My addiction is strong, so please fix it!
      Have you tried these Proton builds? https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom. I am able to play Mass Effect: Andromeda without any problems.​ I am not even sure it was broken for regular Proton builds since I use custom for a long time.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by V1tol View Post

        Have you tried these Proton builds? https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom. I am able to play Mass Effect: Andromeda without any problems.​ I am not even sure it was broken for regular Proton builds since I use custom for a long time.
        Yes, I am on the latest proton-ge-custom. I had it working for some time on 7.38 but that stopped somewhen later. I've also tried proton-experimental which did not work either. Other users confirmend the problem on protondb and the proton bug tracker, so I am not alone here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ms178 View Post
          Still no fix for the new EA web app? Battlefield 1 and many other EA games are broken for weeks now since EA forced their crapware on Steam users. My addiction is strong, so please fix it!
          steam should go back on their policy and force games to not have extra launchers.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

            steam should go back on their policy and force games to not have extra launchers.
            Launchers are not that bad when it's the only way to configure a game. It becomes annoying when launchers start to demand an external account to run a game.

            Forcing no-launcher policy would do no good neither for gamers left without games, no for Valve left without revenue. To change the situation Valve can introduce some form of launcher tax, like extra 2% for new titles using launchers with external authorization. This would make publishers think twice before putting this crap into their games.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by simburde View Post

              Launchers are not that bad when it's the only way to configure a game. It becomes annoying when launchers start to demand an external account to run a game.

              Forcing no-launcher policy would do no good neither for gamers left without games, no for Valve left without revenue. To change the situation Valve can introduce some form of launcher tax, like extra 2% for new titles using launchers with external authorization. This would make publishers think twice before putting this crap into their games.
              That. Configuration launchers are just fine and actually serve a purpose.

              I hate multi-account launcher games. Epic launches Ubisoft which....son of a....you haven't launched this for a while, check yer email and do 2FA...finally, FINALLY launches a game.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                Still no fix for the new EA web app? Battlefield 1 and many other EA games are broken for weeks now since EA forced their crapware on Steam users. My addiction is strong, so please fix it!
                There's a workaround available here.

                Originally posted by Phoronix
                Valve has officially released Proton 7.0-5 as the newest version of their Wine downstream...
                Technically not properly released, as it's in Proton Next for testing. The tweet you included even says that pretty clearly.
                Last edited by liamdawe; 23 November 2022, 12:20 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

                  steam should go back on their policy and force games to not have extra launchers.
                  I think it's good they allow it. Gives you an easy way to filter out games that you don't want to buy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hell yeah. Awesome news. I am benchmarking a bunch of games here https://youtube.com/@xtremelinux with this release. Just using some latest hardware on it thanks to feedback from Phoronix.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X