Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDL3 Begins Dumping A Lot Of Old Code: GLES1, OS/2, DirectFB, WinRT, NaCl & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s_j_newbury
    replied
    Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
    Should have removed pulseaudio and x11.
    In seriousness, if they're wanting to remove legacy code, it doesn't get any more legacy than X11. There's always old releases of SDL for legacy software, some never got updated from SDL1, and much of it still works even with SDL2/Wayland with the wrapper, as long as direct X11 calls aren't made. SDL never officially supported the use of mixed windowing system calls + SDL, if you're using SDL, it is supposed to be an abstraction. They've always been quite good at implementing new features as needed to support whatever edge cases might result in needing to write that kind of hack.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

This will probably result in mess with Steam once it trickles through. Steam overlay requires X11 so Steam has to override SDL3 default.
    I believe Valve employs critical SDL developers in the same way that Codeweavers employs critical Wine developers, so I'm sure they have a plan.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

It's not forcing users to have Wayland or pipewire. Your comment makes no sense.
    This will probably result in mess with Steam once it trickles through. Steam overlay requires X11 so Steam has to override SDL3 default.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    The JACK audio back-end was removed, only to be later reverted.
    Last I heard PipeWire can replace JACK (but not sure if as a drop-in solution) so I wonder why it was reverted.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by lumks View Post
    They can not do this. The software that is build on top of SDL might still have X11 dependencies and will need to go the xwayland way because of that. This can also be true in 10 years from now on. So X11 is still very important to have in SDL. Qt and GTK need to do the first step by deprecating X11 support, so it's known that it will be removed withing the next major version.
    There is also the fact that there are OS's other than Linux which is the more important issue. Not happening anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
    Should have removed pulseaudio and x11.
    PulseAudio maybe, X11 is not an option.

Leave a comment:

• You-
    replied
    Originally posted by mikelpr View Post

pre 1.0 wine was in good shape? I remember compatibility being shit and it got great since wine 3 or 4 afaik
    with Wine the numbering didnt really make any difference. Windows is also a moving target so this year they may have great support for apps, but next year if Microsoft release a new API, the cycle starts again and "wine is terrible" again until they add the necessary API and fix any bugs that are found.

Previously there was a time aroudn 2005 where it seemed like wine had actually arrived and only a few bugs remained for the major software targets. but things changed a lot since then.

Leave a comment:

• mikelpr
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

1.0 doesn't matter; it's just a version number. Remember how long it took Wine to reach 1.0, despite being in good shape?
    pre 1.0 wine was in good shape? I remember compatibility being shit and it got great since wine 3 or 4 afaik

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Hope they learn the lesson from SDL1 compat and make an SDL2 compatibility library at the same time; at least to the extent they are changing APIs.

Leave a comment:

• OroWith2Os
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

1.0 doesn't matter; it's just a version number. Remember how long it took Wine to reach 1.0, despite being in good shape?
    Again, even the developers suggest(ed?) using something on top of PipeWire. Sure, the API/ABI has been declared stable, but it still has plenty of time to make breaking changes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X