X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

In a perfect world everything would just work via VAAPI.

From an end-user's perspective: Some vendors do not support VAAPI at all. Other vendors have low quality VAAPI's support. If VAAPI and vendor specific APIs offered the same performance and stability then nobody would use vendor specific APIs.

From a developer's perspective: VAAPI does not work on Windows or macOS. It could be easier to implement a vendor specific solution or something like ffmpeg.

There's also the "dreaded" V4L2. I've needed to use it many times. I'm not a fan but beggars can't be choosers.

I have not done video encoding on Linux in the past year, but from my past experience I had to test and swap between different solutions to get the best performance/stability especially with streaming software like OBS where performance/latency matters.
    Maybe the low level encoding API should just be abstracted by GStreamer.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by mikelpr View Post
    I don't understand this push against VAAPI and in favour of vendor specific APIs for hardware encoding and decoding. I liked it when everything that was not VAAPI a bridge was made.
    In a perfect world everything would just work via VAAPI.

From an end-user's perspective: Some vendors do not support VAAPI at all. Other vendors have low quality VAAPI's support. If VAAPI and vendor specific APIs offered the same performance and stability then nobody would use vendor specific APIs.

From a developer's perspective: VAAPI does not work on Windows or macOS. It could be easier to implement a vendor specific solution or something like ffmpeg.

There's also the "dreaded" V4L2. I've needed to use it many times. I'm not a fan but beggars can't be choosers.

I have not done video encoding on Linux in the past year, but from my past experience I had to test and swap between different solutions to get the best performance/stability especially with streaming software like OBS where performance/latency matters.

Leave a comment:

• mikelpr
    replied
    I don't understand this push against VAAPI and in favour of vendor specific APIs for hardware encoding and decoding. I liked it when everything that was not VAAPI a bridge was made.

Leave a comment:

• pete910
    replied
    Originally posted by ernstp View Post

I get the impression that it shouldn't be too hard for the Mesa RADV developers to add whatever interface is needed to work with the AMF library. Still, someone needs to figure it out and do it... But hey, they added support for Radeon Raytracing Analyzer so why not?!
    Indeed, I guess it needs a closed library or some such which may be whats holding it up.

Leave a comment:

• ernstp
    replied
    Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Use the linux AMF encoder, vastly better than VAAPI anyway. Downside is you need to install vulkan pro.
    I get the impression that it shouldn't be too hard for the Mesa RADV developers to add whatever interface is needed to work with the AMF library. Still, someone needs to figure it out and do it... But hey, they added support for Radeon Raytracing Analyzer so why not?!

Leave a comment:

• pete910
    replied

No no, I mean that I don't think any of the changes mentioned in the article applies to the Linux version, the changes are Windows only...

For example supported with AMD AMF on Windows and not with Linux VAAPI.
    Use the linux AMF encoder, vastly better than VAAPI anyway. Downside is you need to install vulkan pro.

No mention of native support for the AMF encoder yet from what I see so will need to use a custom build or add the streamfx pluggin to use it.

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied

No no, I mean that I don't think any of the changes mentioned in the article applies to the Linux version, the changes are Windows only...

Are you sure about that? OBS seems to support AMD hardware encoders using ffmpeg?

Leave a comment:

• WonkoTheSaneUK
    replied

Oh. I see what you mean now.

Leave a comment:

• ernstp
    replied
    Originally posted by WonkoTheSaneUK View Post

Nope. Scroll to the bottom of the github page at the end of the article, and you'll also find mac images & source code

Leave a comment:

• WonkoTheSaneUK
    replied
    Is it Windows only perhaps... ?
    Nope. Scroll to the bottom of the github page at the end of the article, and you'll also find mac images & source code

Leave a comment:

Working...
X