Microsoft Promotes Windows Subsystem For Linux "WSL" To GA Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Good to know. I read about it in the Arch wiki, but got pretty confused between it and LIBVF.IO. But good to know there's progress. Depending on when machines with Ryzens with integrated RDNA3 will become a thing, I'll be off of Windows and I hope that by then I'll be able to use it in a VM with decent performance. Sure, there's a hack that allows you to detach the host from an iGPU and attach the guest to it, but that seems much more complicated than necessary. And I don't know yet which apps I'll need to run on Windows because there's no way to stay on Linux.
    when you have two GPU's its really simple, just put the GPU not being used to render the compositor or attached to the display (usually the same gpu but not always) into the libvirt, and if you are on wayland, you don't even need start and stop scripts since wayland handles hot gpu swapping well on both KDE and gnome. (x11 is a bit of a pain) since it's pretty much the exact same thing (as far as the compositor cares) as e-gpu anyways so it's already pretty well supported. and then use virtio-gpu as a display only gpu, it's not great, but it's good enough, and should work better with looking glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

when you have two GPU's its really simple, just put the GPU not being used to render the compositor or attached to the display (usually the same gpu but not always) into the libvirt, and if you are on wayland, you don't even need start and stop scripts since wayland handles hot gpu swapping well on both KDE and gnome. (x11 is a bit of a pain) since it's pretty much the exact same thing (as far as the compositor cares) as e-gpu anyways so it's already pretty well supported. and then use virtio-gpu as a display only gpu, it's not great, but it's good enough, and should work better with looking glass.
      Sure. Problem is: I'm talking about laptops. And my other requirements are too specific to have any hope for a dGPU in the machine.

Comment

Sure. Problem is: I'm talking about laptops. And my other requirements are too specific to have any hope for a dGPU in the machine.
        you can find a decent number of more affordable laptops with second "dgpus" they work too. especially if ones with decent mux switches actually come along that allow swapping in userland properly. though, big doubts on any compositor supporting that properly

Comment

you can find a decent number of more affordable laptops with second "dgpus" they work too. especially if ones with decent mux switches actually come along that allow swapping in userland properly. though, big doubts on any compositor supporting that properly
          My problem isn't price, but features I set as a given. I can't even be sure that the device I want will even exist. And base requirement is that it will suffice die the next 8-10 years. Not many companies that I would trust with that. And Framework doesn't have a fitting device...yet

Comment

My problem isn't price, but features I set as a given. I can't even be sure that the device I want will even exist. And base requirement is that it will suffice die the next 8-10 years. Not many companies that I would trust with that. And Framework doesn't have a fitting device...yet
            that's fair, im quite lucky that I dont have much needs other then light enough and can turn of the dgpu

Comment

Originally posted by evilhamsterman View Post
              blabla ....
              So shut up and listen, WSL2 uses a Linux kernel.​
              Ok, you're a MS guy.

Comment

Originally posted by TNZfr View Post
                Ok, you're a MS guy.
                So it makes you a Microsoft guy if you simply state facts? Hope not...

Comment

that's fair, im quite lucky that I dont have much needs other then light enough and can turn of the dgpu
                  If I could just build my dream laptop, those would be requirements too (dGPUs are expensive, but I can't say if I will need to run e.g. simulations, that can benefit from a powerful GPU in the next 10 years), but since that's sadly not a reality (yet), I have to prioritize. At least since (hopefully) all half-decent Laptops will have USB 4 either way, at least it's possible to use external GPUs. I don't think I'll have to do that much simulation on the go, so that would be a solution, as I currently don't see the need for a desktop PC.

Comment

Originally posted by TNZfr View Post
                    Ok, you're a MS guy.
                    Dude's just spitting facts. I'm not sure why that has to get political. WSL2 is a hypervisor and uses a legit Linux kernel, WSL1 uses abstraction / emulation / rewrites / whatever you want to call it.

Comment

Originally posted by ll1025 View Post

Dude's just spitting facts. I'm not sure why that has to get political. WSL2 is a hypervisor and uses a legit Linux kernel, WSL1 uses abstraction / emulation / rewrites / whatever you want to call it.
                      If WSL2 is a hypervisor, you could install and boot any kernel available in a distro repository. All I see for the moment doesn(t permit this possibility.
                      It's not because there's faw calls to a hypervisor library that WSL2 is a hypervisor.

A french artist said : « A psychotic is someone who firmly believes that 2 and 2 equals 5, and who is completely satisfied with it. A neurotic is someone who knows full well that 2 and 2 make 4, and that makes him sick ! »

Comment

Working...
                      X