No announcement yet.

Microsoft Promotes Windows Subsystem For Linux "WSL" To GA Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If WSL2 is a VM - which I don't doubt - can you still use all the CPU cores transparently?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      If WSL2 is a VM - which I don't doubt
      What do you mean "you don't doubt"? That's the entire point of WSL2. WSL1 is the Linux API over the NT Subsystem infrastructure, WSL2 is Linux in a VM, that's the entire reason there are two of them. Despite what the idiotic naming scheme suggests, they are two independent projects and 2 does not deprecate 1, they simply target different technologies in the Windows stack. Both systems have unique capabilities that the other does in regards to how it interacts with the host system.

can you still use all the CPU cores transparently?
      Yes. Actually, everything in WSL2 is configurable, including core count. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...with-wslconfig

Comment

If WSL2 is a VM - which I don't doubt - can you still use all the CPU cores transparently?
        not sure by what you mean by transparently, but WSL2 is more or less just a customized hyper-v vm.

Comment

Ironmask : in WSL2, just do a « lsmod » .... and then we discuss !

In WSL2, there's no Linux drivers, no Linux memory management, no Linux IP stack ... it's just an userspace / kernelspace Linux interface. You can't upgrade the WSL2 kernel (because it's not a kernel, it's a NT software). WSL can be seen as an « Linux emulator over NT ». It's not a VM in any case.

The only interesting thing in Microsoft announce is the performance of graphics (Dx12 / Mesa) even if Linux binaries are slower in WSL2.

Comment

Originally posted by TNZfr View Post
            Ironmask : in WSL2, just do a « lsmod » .... and then we discuss !

In WSL2, there's no Linux drivers, no Linux memory management, no Linux IP stack ... it's just an userspace / kernelspace Linux interface. You can't upgrade the WSL2 kernel (because it's not a kernel, it's a NT software). WSL can be seen as an « Linux emulator over NT ». It's not a VM in any case.

The only interesting thing in Microsoft announce is the performance of graphics (Dx12 / Mesa) even if Linux binaries are slower in WSL2.
            this is because nothing in the WSL2 kernel is built as a module, you can compile and install custom kernels yourself if you wish. it DOES run a kernel.

Comment

No - you're confusing it with the original WSL, which was a Linux userspace on top of a Windows kernel. WSL2 is a VM... as someone else said, it's basically a nice wrapper around Hyper-V infrastructure.

Comment

If you're sure ... it's not because WSL2 use few Hyper-V sub-systems that it's a VM anymore.
                And I'd like to see how people can compile and install the last linux kernel version in WSL2 ... I'm curious !

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Original WSL still exists? I thought it was dropped...
                  Thank god it still does. I actually don't get how people can like WSL2. It an enormous ressource hog (obviously as it is a VM and not just a backwards WINE) compared to WSL1 and vital capabilities are missing. Afaik you still can't connect to the internet from within WSL2 when there's a VPN running on Windows (a problem existing since day 1 and still existing to this day for all I know), and while you can't access external drive's block device layer from WSL1, at least you can access them on a file level pretty easily. For all I know on WSL2 you still need to compile a custom Kernel with USB-over-IP for WSL and then a Windows program serving as the server (which means you'll have to use Visual Studio in some capacity, at least last time I checked there was no way to cross compile). And all that trouble just to access a thumb drive, which is a base feature of any modern VM software?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

What do you mean "you don't doubt"? That's the entire point of WSL2.
                    I just wanted to make clear that the "If" I used doesn't mean I dispute WSL2 being a VM. Basically just a clarification.

Yes. Actually, everything in WSL2 is configurable, including core count. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...with-wslconfig
                    Okay, that means: If I don't use the core in the VM, I can still use it on my system?
                    I recall the early VMs being busy idling, eating host's CPU power.

Comment

If you're sure ... it's not because WSL2 use few Hyper-V sub-systems that it's a VM anymore.
                      And I'd like to see how people can compile and install the last linux kernel version in WSL2 ... I'm curious !
                      I would be very surprised if it was impossible. Sure, it currently looks like nobody has done it. But it doesn't look like it's impossible, just like nobody is interested enough. After all, you'd need to port all modifications MS made from 5.15 all the way to 6.x. While that probably isn't impossible, it will most likely be quite a lot of work.

Comment

Working...
                      X