Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL 2.26 Released, SDL3 Development Now Underway

Phoronix: SDL 2.26 Released, SDL3 Development Now Underway

SDL 2.26 has been officially released as the latest version of this widely-used library by cross-platform games and other software wishing to abstract various hardware/software differences between systems. With the release of SDL 2.26 out, SDL 3.0 is now officially under development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Feels so nice that everything is switching to Wayland and Pipewire these days. I have been using them daily for a year (years in the case of Wayland) and everything works almost perfectly. I think we are at a point where unless you really really need a niche feature that doesn't exist/work on them, or have some strange corner case bugs, there is no reason to avoid using them anymore. In 1-2 years i think most of us will have moved on from X11 and Pulseaudio completely.

Comment

I'm overriding SDL for some native Linux games to use the SDL Wayland backend for them. Stellaris (all paradox games i guess?), Factorio, Jupiter Hell.

Been filing a few bug reports along the way!

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        Feels so nice that everything is switching to Wayland and Pipewire these days. I have been using them daily for a year (years in the case of Wayland) and everything works almost perfectly.
        I'm still missing wine though :/

But yes, Wayland is pretty much stable in my personal experience, the only problems I usually have is for applications that doesn't default to use it and need some manual intervention (which of course isn't wayland's fault)

Hope this time SDL can make the change without problems.

Comment

I think we are at a point where unless you really really need a niche feature that doesn't exist/work on them, or have some strange corner case bugs, there is no reason to avoid using them anymore
          Nope, Wayland still lacks color management support which is a MAJOR deficit over X11.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Feels so nice that everything is switching to Wayland and Pipewire these days.
            Wayland doesn't really have any native client libraries that people use (i.e libX11). So nothing is switching to Wayland as such. It is just yet another target for abstraction layers (i.e like MFC, X11, GDI+, Cocoa).

And really, this is how it should be. Porting i.e Windows MFC code to FLTK/wxWidgets earns money but is ultimately quite a waste of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Nope, Wayland still lacks color management support which is a MAJOR deficit over X11.
              Only for those who need 16-bit RGB channels, and bought a super expensive 240 fps 16 bit wide gamut HDR pre-calibrated studio monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                Wayland doesn't really have any native client libraries that people use (i.e libX11).
                Sure it has. There is libwayland-client and applications like mpv or retroarch use it directly.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Only for those who need 16-bit RGB channels, and bought a super expensive 240 fps 16 bit wide gamut HDR pre-calibrated studio monitor.
                  What's the link between color management and 16-bit/240fps/HDR? Every single monitor can be calibrated and profiled and you need X11 to do so.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Wayland doesn't really have any native client libraries that people use (i.e libX11). So nothing is switching to Wayland as such. It is just yet another target for abstraction layers (i.e like MFC, X11, GDI+, Cocoa).

And really, this is how it should be. Porting i.e Windows MFC code to FLTK/wxWidgets earns money but is ultimately quite a waste of effort.
                    You can use libwayland directly in the same way you can use libX11.

Comment

Working...
                    X