Wayland Protocols 1.30 Introduces New Protocol To Allow Screen Tearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treba View Post

Is that really still a thing if one can simply get a 240Hz screen?
    That is not even a thing at 60hz, there can be a delay in frame to screen time but its so low that even sensitive people should not be able to truly notice it.
    On a 90, 120 and higher screen, that time is even lower and I have serious doubts even the most pro gamer(TM) can feel anything.

I'd for myself rather have correctly drawn and presented frames then a tiny bit less latency.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
      Glad Wayland is adding a lower-latency mode for games that allows tearing. Wayland devs are continuing to check off the remaining items that keep me on Xorg. Now about middle-click paste...
      Middle-Click paste is nothing the protocol has anything to do with, Gnome Shell for example has middle click paste on wayland since day one.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
        Anyone who's already on the Wayland bandwagon is doing themselves an absolute disservice by not using Valve's outstanding GameScope compositor for gaming!

Here's a PPA for my Ubuntu brethren:

https://launchpad.net/~ar-lex/+archive/ubuntu/gamescope
        If you use gamescope nested on top of your desktops compositor, it can't do most of its fancy features.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

That is not even a thing at 60hz, there can be a delay in frame to screen time but its so low that even sensitive people should not be able to truly notice it.
          On a 90, 120 and higher screen, that time is even lower and I have serious doubts even the most pro gamer(TM) can feel anything.

I'd for myself rather have correctly drawn and presented frames then a tiny bit less latency.
          on lower hz screens the delay could be noticeable since it is around 1 frame if really unlucky, of latency, however anything past 120fps, unless you are a hardcore gamer I doubt it will matter. though I believe "hardcore gamers" IE anyone who plays twitch games more then 5+hrs a day somewhat daily, would be able be impacted (not necessarily able to tell) at least up to 120fps.

Comment

I personally believe this extension is a mistake, because I believe that while people believe this minimal reduction in latency makes them better, it does not actually. It just adds complexity compositors have to implement. There are a few good questions on how to implement that right, things like how to disable the frame synchronization for just one client. Imaging a multi monitor setup, watching a show on one screen, game on the other. You would not want your show to tear just because you let your game tear.

It will be interesting to see how KDE implements it, as I can imagine it will be exactly such a half baked barely testes solution shipped right out to their users, as always.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Damn, this is disgusting.
              You don't care about any of this. You're just here to instigate shit and then act like the people who respond to you are cruel and uncaring, horrible people.

What do you think you're doing? You've been here for 14 years and wrote 3330 posts. I can't speak for all of them but in the time I've been here they've all been complaining about Linux and Wayland, praising Intel and Nvidia, starting the same arguments with people again and again and again on repeat.

My only assumption is that you have nothing you can become famous for so you decided to become infamous. I think you like the fact that you're known here. I think you like that fact that someone can search "Artem S. Tashkinov" and see people talking about you. And awhile ago you found out that the way you do that is by being negative about everything. You don't have to look very far to find you talking about stuff on other websites where you're saying stuff like:

"Expect it to be a resource hog",
              "A crap OS lacking any direction"
              "This benchmark is useless and worthless at the same time"
              "The worst 'upgrade' in the entire Firefox history"
              "2 for god awful interface which cannot be customized"
              "This is getting ridiculous but OK, I will try to restrain myself. Maybe I should just f* leave this website."​
              "Let me express an utter dissatisfaction and even contempt for this proposal."

Nothing is just flawed to you and nothing can be a work in progress. Either you absolutely love something or it completely sucks to you. You even have a section of your site with articles you personally deemed as controversial that list why certain things "suck" or won't ever be successful.

Doesn't take long to find an example of you playing the victim either. You claimed to have been "humiliated" because someone said "If you want to know why developers don't spend months and years of their life saving you from paying $10 for a new wifi adaptor... that's the reason." Then you can find another post from the same site where you're asking why someone said it's rude to answer someone's question with a link to a Google search.

You know what you're doing and it's sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
                ---
                You started your post with claiming that I praise NVIDIA and Intel. Lying through your teeth again, again, again, again, again and fucking again. Show me a single fucking post where I praise either of these companies. I dare you. Here's my latest post about NVIDIA where I criticize the company harshly but you seem to have completely missed it.

Won't read the rest of it, I know my worth (that's just for the kernel) and I don't need no-ones from Phoronix.com shitting on me. That won't work, that can't work. LMAO. The only reason why I'm replying is because VBulletin doesn't hide your posts despite you being on my BL. Amazing how my initial reply in the topic was on-point and you starting talking about me. Ad hominem is strong with lowly people having nothing to say. I've been contributing to Open Source since the late 90s and I'm told I cannot criticize crap and crap attitude when I see them. OMG.
                Last edited by birdie; 22 November 2022, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

You don't care about any of this. You're just here to instigate shit and then act like the people who respond to you are cruel and uncaring, horrible people.

<totally valid, lengthy stuff snipped>

You know what you're doing and it's sad.
                  Sing it! For me ( admittedly very much a long-term Linux user ), the biggest turn-off is not desktop X or distro Y, it's serial trolls. Sure, they have mental health issues. But on the other hand, as you say, they know what they're doing.

Comment

How many Wayland devs work in the video game industry?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

wrong, it DOES work, its not always the best quality, but it works. unlike wayland, you know what wayland does? it does integer scaling that means my 4k display at 1.3 scaling, my sweet spot renders, the compositor at 5902x3320. this is literally unusable in many cases on my rx 580, in fact anything greater then a 1.6 scale introduces massive performance issues.

we are talking about shaders in MPV simply no longer working at real time, the desktop can even get sluggish depending on whats happening, this is absolutely absurd. and this isn't even considering the downscaling it then needs to do to hit back to a 4k display, which can absolutely crush quality in some cases. you know what xorg does? it doesn't force me to render everything at 5902x3320.

even at 1.6 scaling ratio, my screen is still rendering at 4796x2696. THIS is why fractional scaling matters, because many systems are literally unusable without it. for the record, my 580 is perfectly fine and usable at 4k resolution for the majority of things I use it for.
                      You don't need 130% scaling though.... You think you do, but you don't. It will always end up blury and distorted. 30% increase is not really that much different to be worthwhile anyway. Just increase the font size and call it a day. It is what i have done and i have a better picture without scaling BS.

Comment

Working...
                      X