Wayland Protocols 1.30 Introduces New Protocol To Allow Screen Tearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Yeah, people will definitely rush to buy a shiny new 240hz monitor just because Wayland devs refuse(d) to allow tearing. This is the same mindset as Gnome devs refusing to implement subpixel font AA in GTK 4.0, assuming HiDPi screens are gaining popularity, while in reality the vast majority are still on non HiDPi screens. I really don't like this "fix software issues with hardware" mindset.
    Is is worth mentioning, HiDPi and high frequency screens aren't cheap, specially against the income outside USA/Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Get over yourself. There's no reason gamers can't have both proper display output and correct input latency. The problem isn't the display stack and it's not v-sync. It's gaming engines that date back to single threaded ancestors that don't properly separate out input threads, display/rendering threads, and storage threads. Many game engines still tie all their physics and input into their display engine, hence input lag. The problem isn't v-sync. The problem is in the engines themselves.

Multithreading, concurrency, and parallelism are the answer, but many gaming houses aren't looking for genuine solutions. They're pushing content out as fast as they can using off-the-shelf solutions that were designed and mostly coded when systems still couldn't handle more than one or two threads.
      Where did you see that I care about the input lag that comes with vsync? Oh you are just imagining and fighting against your imagination. The way you show off your rudimentary knowledge about thread and latency is admirable, and technically not wrong. However you are completely missing the point. vsync itself is outdated. Use adaptive sync instead. Outdated hardware use outdated software, I don't have a problem with that. The thing is that you people better not be the obstacle for newer technology. Because I, and a lot of us, don't like to wait.

Comment

People get so extremist and narcissist these days. Is all or nothing. If I use, therefore everybody does. etc etc.

Just yesterday I was gaming on Wayland and was observing micro-stuttering in American Truck Simulator. Tested it with Xorg and it was gone. So yeah, not every game behaves in the same way, so it is nice to have options to achieve a better experience.

Comment

KDE's raison d'etre is to give the end user the power to choose how they want their system to behave. I don't see why anyone's surprised at KDE walking back the Wayland decision to force a form of vsync on users.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Who cares about fractional scaling or HDR support in 2022? The killer, future-facing feature is tearing! gg Wayland.
            This, but unironically.

Comment

I really hate screen tearing. When I downloaded "Return from Monkey Island" from Steam and played it under Linux, I had screen tearing and hated it!
              Now, I'm a Mac user and I don't suffer from it any more.

Comment

It's always possible to bypass a display stack's double or triple buffering by presenting the same framebuffer and rendering to the same framebuffer, so that the stack ends up showing the in-progress frame regardless of the effort it makes to wait for frame completion. In this way you can get zero input lag in the display stack... but of course with the cost of tearing. Of course that doesn't get rid of the monitor's input lag. Just the OS / API input lag, and that's assuming that the OS/API isn't doing further compositing and buffering beyond presentation (GNOME3 <v40, the king of input lag.)
                Last edited by linuxgeex; 21 November 2022, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Anyone who's already on the Wayland bandwagon is doing themselves an absolute disservice by not using Valve's outstanding GameScope compositor for gaming!

Here's a PPA for my Ubuntu brethren:

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                    I really hate screen tearing. When I downloaded "Return from Monkey Island" from Steam and played it under Linux, I had screen tearing and hated it!
                    Now, I'm a Mac user and I don't suffer from it any more.
                    That's nice'n'all, but how are the latest DX12 titles crawling on your expensive toy when translated from DX12 to VKD3D (the broken one) to MoltenVK and finally to Apple's native Metal API?

I'm sure it's totally worth the cost...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                      Anyone who's already on the Wayland bandwagon is doing themselves an absolute disservice by not using Valve's outstanding GameScope compositor for gaming!

Here's a PPA for my Ubuntu brethren:

https://launchpad.net/~ar-lex/+archive/ubuntu/gamescope
                      I installed a gamescope from your ppa, thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X