Wayland Protocols 1.30 Introduces New Protocol To Allow Screen Tearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Yeah, people will definitely rush to buy a shiny new 240hz monitor just because Wayland devs refuse(d) to allow tearing. This is the same mindset as Gnome devs refusing to implement subpixel font AA in GTK 4.0, assuming HiDPi screens are gaining popularity, while in reality the vast majority are still on non HiDPi screens. I really don't like this "fix software issues with hardware" mindset.

Btw, even with 240hz screen forced vsync is still an issue because not all games are able to maintain 240fps, so that means stutter.
    I couldn't agree less. It's always easy to blame devs from the 2 things that you know, while dev have 200 things to consider. If you use old hardware, stick to LTS old software. You don't have to blame the people who is trying to create and push for bleeding edge technologies. New software for new hardware. Old hardware stick to old software.

Plus, nobody ever uses vsync on a 240hz monitor. That's complete idiocy. There is a thing called adaptive-sync/freesync. vsync itself is a piece of outdated technology.

Again. new with new, old with old. You can't expect your 5 year old pickup truck to run on electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      How nice for you. Doesn't change that no one in the right mind would play shooters with vsync stutter + lag.
      Plenty of people play shooters with vsync. In fact, most probably do.

Comment

Doesn't change that no one in the right mind would play shooters with vsync stutter + lag.
        Not everyone plays games with a frametime graph in the corner of the screen. But hey... internet bubbles... everyone thinks they are the center of the world and everyone else is just "out of their mind"...

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Plenty of people play shooters with vsync. In fact, most probably do.
          You are talking non-sense. No one ever use vsync these days. Otherwise it's rather pathetic

Comment

At least KDE cares for gamers. 100% golden decision of Valve to back it.
            ​So KDE degraded picture quality of wayland. Thanks.

Yeah, people will definitely rush to buy a shiny new 240hz monitor just because Wayland devs refuse(d) to allow tearing. This is the same mindset as Gnome devs refusing to implement subpixel font AA in GTK 4.0, assuming HiDPi screens are gaining popularity, while in reality the vast majority are still on non HiDPi screens. I really don't like this "fix software issues with hardware" mindset.
            ​
            Subpixel font AA has real issues.. everywhere. GTK 4.0 just chose to expose them so we can get a real solution sometime.
            Neither subpixel nor tearing are solutions. We just accept this bad behavior for lack of a proper solution.

Btw, even with 240hz screen forced vsync is still an issue because not all games are able to maintain 240fps, so that means stutter.
            ​
            As others mentioned: who runs 240Hz with vsync????

Comment

How nice for you. Doesn't change that no one in the right mind would play shooters with vsync stutter + lag.
              Me

vsync stutter

I disable VSync and use a frame rate limit instead.
              Yeah, there's tearing, but also a considerable reduction in latency.

lag

Living far away from the US (closest location with English language userbase), the minimum network latency I am able to attain is 120ms.
              Last edited by tildearrow; 21 November 2022, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mantide View Post
                You are talking non-sense. No one ever use vsync these days. Otherwise it's rather pathetic
                No I'm not. Most people who play videos games, FPS or otherwise, aren't nerds on Reddit or Phoronix. They don't know what V-sync is and just play their games to enjoy them.

Comment

Originally posted by mantide View Post

Get over yourself. There's no reason gamers can't have both proper display output and correct input latency. The problem isn't the display stack and it's not v-sync. It's gaming engines that date back to single threaded ancestors that don't properly separate out input threads, display/rendering threads, and storage threads. Many game engines still tie all their physics and input into their display engine, hence input lag. The problem isn't v-sync. The problem is in the engines themselves.

Multithreading, concurrency, and parallelism are the answer, but many gaming houses aren't looking for genuine solutions. They're pushing content out as fast as they can using off-the-shelf solutions that were designed and mostly coded when systems still couldn't handle more than one or two threads.

Comment

Who cares about fractional scaling or HDR support in 2022? The killer, future-facing feature is tearing! gg Wayland.

Comment

Glad Wayland is adding a lower-latency mode for games that allows tearing. Wayland devs are continuing to check off the remaining items that keep me on Xorg. Now about middle-click paste...

Comment

Working...
                      X