Wayland Protocols 1.30 Introduces New Protocol To Allow Screen Tearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Protocols 1.30 Introduces New Protocol To Allow Screen Tearing

Phoronix: Wayland Protocols 1.30 Introduces New Protocol To Allow Screen Tearing

In the early days of Wayland one of the main philosophical driving points for this alternative to the X.Org Server was that "every frame is perfect" and would forego screen tearing among other rendering impurities. Introduced now with Wayland Protocols 1.30 though is a new staging protocol to allow screen tearing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least KDE cares for gamers. 100% golden decision of Valve to back it.

Comment

aufkrawall yeah, i like it so much to see half a screen from one frame and the other half of the screen from previous position before rotating the camera. i miss it so much.

Comment

Typo:
        Clients can use the tearing-control protocol to indicate htye are fine with tearing via async page-flipping.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          As far as I know, Valve uses a custom compositor called Gamescope to handle SteamOS. On the Steam Deck, when you go to the desktop mode, it actually runs Xorg, so any changes to the Wayland compositor of Plasma will not make into that console.

I'm afraid to tell you that the real reason Valve chose Plasma for the desktop mode probably was that it provides a more classical desktop paradigm that can resemble Windows, which is what most games are used to have at home, not because it "cares more about gamers" than other desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            aufkrawall yeah, i like it so much to see half a screen from one frame and the other half of the screen from previous position before rotating the camera. i miss it so much.
            How nice for you. Doesn't change that no one in the right mind would play shooters with vsync stutter + lag.

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
            not because it "cares more about gamers" than other desktops.
            Given all the activity by Xaver Hugl in upstream projects for better VRR with AMS hardware cursor etc., I think you're not well-informed.​
            Last edited by aufkrawall; 21 November 2022, 08:57 PM. Reason: typo...

Comment

Kde Kares.

Comment

How nice for you. Doesn't change that no one in the right mind would play shooters with vsync stutter + lag.
                Is that really still a thing if one can simply get a 240Hz screen?

Comment

So, after all, it was a feature not a bug 🤣 🤣 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Is that really still a thing if one can simply get a 240Hz screen?
                    Yeah, people will definitely rush to buy a shiny new 240hz monitor just because Wayland devs refuse(d) to allow tearing. This is the same mindset as Gnome devs refusing to implement subpixel font AA in GTK 4.0, assuming HiDPi screens are gaining popularity, while in reality the vast majority are still on non HiDPi screens. I really don't like this "fix software issues with hardware" mindset.

Btw, even with 240hz screen forced vsync is still an issue because not all games are able to maintain 240fps, so that means stutter.

Comment

Working...
                    X