Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Epic Gains Made In 5 Years For AMD EPYC 7601 Naples vs. Newest 4th Gen EPYC Genoa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Epic Gains Made In 5 Years For AMD EPYC 7601 Naples vs. Newest 4th Gen EPYC Genoa

Phoronix: The Epic Gains Made In 5 Years For AMD EPYC 7601 Naples vs. Newest 4th Gen EPYC Genoa

The AMD EPYC 4th Gen "Genoa" processor performance has been outright phenomenal. These new AMD server processors have shown stunnning performance with up to 96 cores per socket and beyond the increased core count is now up to 12 channels of DDR5-4800 memory and most significantly in the HPC space is the introduction of AVX-512 support with Zen 4. Even the 32-core high frequency Genoa performance has been dominating against Intel's current Xeon Scalable competition. While AMD EPYC Genoa brings very impressive gains generation-over-generation and against the current Xeon Ice Lake CPUs, curiosity got the best of me for seeing how the new AMD EPYC CPUs compare to AMD's original EPYC 1st Gen "Naples" flagship - the EPYC 7601 2P. Here are Genoa benchmarks showing how far the AMD server/HPC CPU performance has evolved over the past five years since Naples.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Given the title of the article, i would have expected some normalization to /core/1Ghz .. this would have truly shown the gains of the architecture.. in the current form many things _can_ be taken away but not the evolution of zen architecture ..

Comment

For four years we have been blessed with the progress of the AMD Zen architecture. INTEL is working hard on catching up and then pass AMD performance. But INTEL still has heavy work to do. The AMD chiplet-based architecture and TSMC nodes allowed AMD to end 10 years of stagnation. We can only be grateful for it. The question is could AMD and INTEL continue to bring double or triple digits performance increase at each generation? This seems unsustainable to me. But we still have several generations ahead with such rate of progress. Zen continues to deliver gifts, INTEL has no choices but to come up with new architectures. But IMHO we will have a new stagnation period at some point until the next innovation comes up. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

It's impressive what AMD has archived in the last few years.
        wonder how large the performance jump will be with zen 5. As far as i understand it, it will contain larger changes compared to the previous steps.

Comment

Take us, Skynet, we are ready.

Comment

I'm impressed with the 9554. It gets the lion's share of the 9654's code compilation and dense math performance results, and it's not that far behind the 9374F for single-thread and even beats it sometimes. Wow. But that price tag. Good God. Best of luck selling them AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
              I'm impressed with the 9554. It gets the lion's share of the 9654's code compilation and dense math performance results, and it's not that far behind the 9374F for single-thread and even beats it sometimes. Wow. But that price tag. Good God. Best of luck selling them AMD.
              They won't have any issues selling them because the customers who will be buying them will know the time they save is worth the money. Companies with large server farms can drop 100K on these and not even blink an eye because they have done a ROI and will show savings in a month.

Keep in mind pricing for companies is not the same for you and I. They operate on a completely different scale of things.

Comment

Originally posted by vsteel View Post
                They won't have any issues selling them because the customers who will be buying them will know the time they save is worth the money. Companies with large server farms can drop 100K on these and not even blink an eye because they have done a ROI and will show savings in a month.
                I agree and normally I'd say the same, and more. Maybe they don't have volume yet so they're balancing demand with availability. It just seems a bit optimistic for the current market conditions.

Comment

Working...
                X