Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD AOCC 4.0 vs. GCC vs. LLVM Clang Compiler Benchmarks On Zen 4

Phoronix: AMD AOCC 4.0 vs. GCC vs. LLVM Clang Compiler Benchmarks On Zen 4

Last week when launching the AMD EPYC 9004 "Genoa" processors, AMD released AOCC 4.0 as the newest version of their optimizing C/C++ compiler that now supports their Zen 4 micro-architecture. Last week I ran some initial AOCC 4.0 benchmarks and this LLVM/Clang downstream was looking rather favorable in relation to upstream LLVM/Clang, while since then I've been able to conduct more thorough benchmarks across a wide variety of C/C++ open-source workloads. Here is that more extensive round of AOCC 4.0 benchmarking against the open-source LLVM/Clang and AOCC compilers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's with the performance regressions in both LLVM 15 and GCC 13? I suppose it's within the margin of error, but this seems unexpected.

Anyway, I hope AMD gets these patches into upstream LLVM soon enough, and whatever fits into GCC too. Sometimes I think it's a shame that LLVM isn't GPL.

Comment

I am glad LLVM/Clang is looking stronger than GCC. I hope they can keep showing that their newer compiler design brings measurable benefits with regular consistency. 👍👍

Comment

imagine you spend your precious time on a compiler that nobody is interested in or uses. Does it really make a sound?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          imagine you spend your precious time on a compiler that nobody is interested in or uses. Does it really make a sound?
          What are you on about? All three compilers have large interest groups. You only may not notice them, because your ego is blocking out the sun.

Comment

Only when Pipewire compiles

Comment

..I was looking forward to this release since half a year. 4% overall gain are still 4%.
              Imagine you have bought a serverfarm for a couple of k$ and now you got a "discount" of roughly 4%.

I would also like to see how it performs on older Zens in comparision to AOCC 3.1

Comment

Originally posted by saladin View Post
                Sometimes I think it's a shame that LLVM isn't GPL.
                No thanks. and it wouldn't be where it was if it was.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

No thanks. and it wouldn't be where it was if it was.
                  Yeah, unfortunately you're right. But with all the work that companies put into their closed-source forks (icx, aocc, forks targeting various mcus), it's a shame that we lose out on the benefits of their work.

The whole reason at LLVM exists is to _not_ be under the GPL, and upstream LLVM is a wonderful collection of software, but in a perfect world it could be more.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately you're right. But with all the work that companies put into their closed-source forks (icx, aocc, forks targeting various mcus), it's a shame that we lose out on the benefits of their work.
                    The majority of what they work on is pushed back upstream. What you said is a common false belief.

​The whole reason at LLVM exists is to _not_ be under the GPL, and upstream LLVM is a wonderful collection of software, but in a perfect world it could be more.
                    We don't live in a perfect dream world.

Comment

Working...
                    X