Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgl Adds Accelerated Video Encoding To Guest VMs

Phoronix: Virgl Adds Accelerated Video Encoding To Guest VMs

Mesa VirGL with the virglrenderer library has allowed for virtual 3D GPU support within QEMU virtual machines. This Gallium3D-leveraging code has allowed for OpenGL and other functionality to work within VMs while leveraging the host's GPU. The latest notable addition is adding VirGL video encoding support with H.264 and H.265 initially being supported for accelerated support in VMs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know if you can use / mod this to enable an accelerated Xvnc?

Comment

ive been working on getting this working, but sadly have not been able to. still trying though

Comment

For anyone curious, decode support was added recently too (h264 + h265) and seems to have been part of the recent 0.10 tag release of virgl:

This function is implemented based on libva and currently supports H.264 and H.265 decoding, and will gradually support encoding and other profiles in the future. Mesa...

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          ive been working on getting this working, but sadly have not been able to. still trying though
          If you have multiple GPUs on host, you might have to ensure the correct one is getting used by ffmpeg on the host.

At least that was an issue on the decoding MR I linked, they found that some conformance tests were failing as the host had both intel and AMD GPUs while the guest was configured for AMD, the video decoding was initially being done by the Intel GPU which lacked some codec support (thus test failures due to getting the supported codecs from the AMD GPU I think).

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

If you have multiple GPUs on host, you might have to ensure the correct one is getting used by ffmpeg on the host.

At least that was an issue on the decoding MR I linked, they found that some conformance tests were failing as the host had both intel and AMD GPUs while the guest was configured for AMD, the video decoding was initially being done by the Intel GPU which lacked some codec support (thus test failures due to getting the supported codecs from the AMD GPU I think).
            yeah I've tried it, this is vaiinfo output for instance on arch, fresh compiled virglrenderer, mesa-git libva utils. still plan on dinking around more

Code:
            libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
            vainfo: VA-API version: 1.17 (libva 2.17.0.1)
            vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 23.0.0-devel for virgl (AMD Radeon RX 580 Series (polaris10, LLVM 14.0.6, DR...)
            vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
                  VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc​

Comment

Working...
            X