AMD Finally Opens Up Its Radeon Raytracing Analyzer "RRA" Source Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

No, the reality that all major VFX & animation studios are running on Linux since around two decades, and nVidia still being the only viable option on those systems to this very day.
    Oh good. I'm glad they're running Linux instead of Mac Pro's with Radeon Pro's in them like Lunar Animation.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Here's a clue: Movies don't use Real Time Ray Tracing (RTRT) which is the reason there's a specification in terms in the first place, otherwise everyone would just call it wait for it... Ray Tracing. Literally the first movie to use Real Time Ray Tracing only came out this year https://petapixel.com/2022/09/19/aus...in-production/
      And here's a clue for the clueless, a.k.a. the average Phoronix reader:

RTRT plays a vital role during production, because artists like to know how the final render will look like without having to wait for hours after every single change to a scene.

You could have known that if you had bothered to watch the short clip İ linked to, but instead you opted to prove your utter cluelessness, the Phoronix way...

Comment

Originally posted by gentoofu View Post

Oh good. I'm glad they're running Linux instead of Mac Pro's with Radeon Pro's in them like Lunar Animation.
        Noticed the part where İ said every major studio? 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Hopefully in 100 years they will open the Windows driver too
          That would not happen even in 1,000 years unless major changes in AMD corporate culture happen.
          I recall it was bridgman who explained in response to requests to open source the Windmill, Oasis, and Hangar 21 demos that there is no mindset at AMD that software releases should be open source by default (or even come with a Linux build...). So they always have to make the case internally, and resources are spent on code/legal reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            That would not happen even in 1,000 years unless major changes in AMD corporate culture happen.
            I recall it was bridgman who explained in response to requests to open source the Windmill, Oasis, and Hangar 21 demos that there is no mindset at AMD that software releases should be open source by default (or even come with a Linux build...). So they always have to make the case internally, and resources are spent on code/legal reviews.
            Can I tweak your wording a bit ? There are groups within AMD that believe strongly in the benefits of open sourcing (in terms of both distribution and development models), while there are also groups which do not and groups in between.

The requirement for reviews is not a mindset thing, just a fact of life - particularly for a publicly traded tech company.
            Last edited by bridgman; 20 November 2022, 08:05 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Good!
              Hopefully in 100 years they will open the Windows driver too so that someone can implement all those cool things int he Linux driver too and then create a GUI for it.
              I think it's more likely we see gallium and other mesa frameworks ported over to windows than open sourcing of the current windows driver.

Comment

Working...
              X