Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing Six Different Linux Distributions On The Intel Core i9 13900K "Raptor Lake"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
    Let's all lock the governor to "performance"! Nevermind it kills battery life on laptops! Force THP to "always" because it let's us look good on irrelevant performance numbers while possibly sacrificing usability and sacrificing memory allocation integrity.
    It shouldn't be that hard to ask a simple question during install and set the governor accordingly. Maybe "Are you installing [this distro] on a laptop?". Or if you fear the potential PEBKAC, just probe for an ACPI battery and if found, assume laptop and set governor accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
      It shouldn't be that hard to ask a simple question during install and set the governor accordingly. Maybe "Are you installing [this distro] on a laptop?". Or if you fear the potential PEBKAC, just probe for an ACPI battery and if found, assume laptop and set governor accordingly.
      Or just leave it to people that know what they're doing to change it and make sure that foot gun is well buried otherwise. This is what safe defaults are for. It's not just about battery life. Setting inappropriate governors can destroy hardware from thermal damage. Performance governor setting locks the system to maximum frequency in most cases. It's also the case that ACPI tables can lie about battery capability among other things. In fact, I have an HP laptop that will immediately hit thermal threshold and shutdown from bad ACPI tables in OpenBSD, but apparently functional with Linux which uses ACPI table settings provided by Intel instead and works fine with Windows with native HP ACPI tables.
      Last edited by stormcrow; 17 November 2022, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Would be nice if you'd compare CachyOS (x86_64-v3 compiled Arch-derived distro) with Clear Linux
        Last edited by StarterX4; 17 November 2022, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Debian, Endeavour, Fedora; The best desktop Linux distributions... Though recently I noticed SpiralLinux, have yet to try it, but the Debian installer makes grub/luks/brfs a pain to setup.

Comment

What? No...
            MX Linux
            Deepin Linux
            Void Linux
            White Box Linux
            Linux From Scratch
            GNU/Hurd

If you haven't figured out that this post is sarcastic...

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Or just leave it to people that know what they're doing to change it and make sure that foot gun is well buried otherwise. This is what safe defaults are for. It's not just about battery life. Setting inappropriate governors can destroy hardware from thermal damage. Performance governor setting locks the system to maximum frequency in most cases. It's also the case that ACPI tables can lie about battery capability among other things. In fact, I have an HP laptop that will immediately hit thermal threshold and shutdown from bad ACPI tables in OpenBSD, but apparently functional with Linux which uses ACPI table settings provided by Intel instead and works fine with Windows with native HP ACPI tables.
              Yes, agreed.

Although I've never had a system have such bad ACPI tables that it overheats and shuts down just by changing the governor. Although my last HP anything was an nx7000 which never saw Linux at all...

Comment

Clear Linux looks interesting, but it seems there is no support for either Snaps or LXD and they have no interest in adding either of those. It's quite unfortunate, since Ubuntu is rather slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                  Here is a novel idea... CHANGE THE SETTING YOURSELF!

I will never understand why desktop linux users these days treat their systems like they have immutable root filesystems and instead shop around every linux distribution on earth until they find one with the defaults they prefer. The kernel makes these things tunable at runtime or at boot for a reason, and it isn't to give rise to a million subtly different linux distributions

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

Here is a novel idea... CHANGE THE SETTING YOURSELF!

I will never understand why desktop linux users these days treat their systems like they have immutable root filesystems and instead shop around every linux distribution on earth until they find one with the defaults they prefer. The kernel makes these things tunable at runtime or at boot for a reason, and it isn't to give rise to a million subtly different linux distributions
                    That comes across as very aggressive, perhaps it's the CAPS, perhaps it's the attitude presented. Where did I say I couldn't? Where did I say I hadn't? Jumping to conclusions will eventually result in falling in a cesspit.

Given the steady improvement Linux makes to being user-friendly for less technical individuals, the observation that it could be a single question (or background check) at install time seemed a reasonable one.

Comment

Originally posted by leoheck View Post
                      No TempleOS?
                      I support the request for inclusion of TempleOS

Comment

Working...
                      X