Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Box64 0.2 Gets DXVK 2.0 Running, Many Other Improvements For Emulating x86_64 On Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I've never had any issues with coming out of sleep after opening the lid, nor do I know anyone that has issues like that…
    Laptops I've owned that failed to wake up reliably:
    HP NX6125 (Radeon R400 hangs, BroadComm BCM43x Wifi sometimes dead)
    HP DV7 (Intel WiFi mass packet drops after resume, rmmod/insmod/PCI reset didn't help)
    Toshiba Satellite Core2Duo (Intel backlight sometimes failed to light)
    Sony VAIO SVS15-1190S (rare kernel hang - fast boot with SSD made that less painful.)
    Acer C720 Chromebook (backlight on but otherwise black screen)
    Asus Zenbook UX31a (reset about 3% of the time on lifting the lid, hang about 1% of the time)

Laptops I've owned that always woke up reliably:
    Acer Aspire One D250 (about 14s to wake up)
    Dell XPS-13 9360 (about 3s to wake up, broken hibernate due to always-on USB-PD)

The C720 Chromebook was the fastest to resume, with the screen on before you could fully open the lid - when I bought it. By the time Google decided to stop releasing updates it was more like 1.5s to screen on and 2.5s to interactive. Now it has GalliumOS (XUbuntu 18.04) and that's about 3s to light up and 5s to interactive.
    Last edited by linuxgeex; 17 November 2022, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

Recent AMD APUs are notorious for having sleep issues. AFAIK Rembrandt still isnt fixed in released kernels, and my G14/4900HS still isnt quite right.

This has nothing to do with ARM/x86 though, just platform and OS support.
      I'm using Linux Mint on my Ryzen 4700U laptop and sleep and resume works instantly. I remember hearing issues like this for early Ryzens on Linux but as far as I know that's been resolved. Also it's a Linux issue as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

Laptops I've owned that failed to wake up reliably:
        HP NX6125 (Radeon R400 hangs, BroadComm BCM43x Wifi sometimes dead)
        HP DV7 (Intel WiFi mass packet drops after resume, rmmod/insmod/PCI reset didn't help)
        Toshiba Satellite Core2Duo (Intel backlight sometimes failed to light)
        Sony VAIO SVS15-1190S (rare kernel hang - fast boot with SSD made that less painful.)
        Acer C720 Chromebook (backlight on but otherwise black screen)
        Asus Zenbook UX31a (reset about 3% of the time on lifting the lid, hang about 1% of the time)

Laptops I've owned that always woke up reliably:
        Acer Aspire One D250 (about 14s to wake up)
        Dell XPS-13 9360 (about 3s to wake up, broken hibernate due to always-on USB-PD)

The C720 Chromebook was the fastest to resume, with the screen on before you could fully open the lid - when I bought it. By the time Google decided to stop releasing updates it was more like 1.5s to screen on and 2.5s to interactive. Now it has GalliumOS (XUbuntu 18.04) and that's about 3s to light up and 5s to interactive.
        I have 2 DV7's but I think I replace the wifi module for an upgrade. Their wifi works fine. I also have a Toshiba Satellite Core2Due that has not had a backlight issue. I have over a dozen laptops running Linux Mint and so far no issues. My Lenovo Carbon which I use most of the time hasn't been rebooted in months, and is my most reliable laptop, and runs Linux Mint.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          I'm using Linux Mint on my Ryzen 4700U laptop and sleep and resume works instantly.
          I'm using Linux on a Ryzen 5900HX APU and sleep and resume works fine for me too. It doesn't resume instantly, but fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I'm using Linux on a Ryzen 5900HX APU and sleep and resume works fine for me too. It doesn't resume instantly, but fast enough.
            I know there was an issue with earlier kernels but I think that's resolved. To say that the reason anyone bought an M1 was because of faster sleep and wake issues and then comparing it to earlier Ryzen laptops having issues specific to Linux is stupid at best. On Windows this has worked just fine, but Linux is probably going to have problems at first. My main PC which is a Ryzen 2700X with a MSI B350 Tomahawk does have problems sometimes with sleep and resume, but that was fixed with "pcie_aspm=off" in /etc/default/grub. My FX8350 systems as I have 2 of them, can have sleep resume issues depending on the motherboard used and I forget the fix but it needed a specific fix.

If you wanna compare the M1 to Ryzen systems on Linux then compare the M1 on Linux. Meanwhile sleep mode on Asahi Linux doesn't work, along with DisplayPort, Thunderbolt HDMI on the MacBooks, Bluetooth, GPU acceleration, Video codec acceleration, Neural Engine, CPU deep idle, Sleep mode, Camera, and Touch Bar. Now if someone is talking about Mac OSX on the M1, the question is why? We don't care about Mac OSX beyond pointing at a bad OS. You're in the wrong forum if you're looking to praise the wonders of Mac OSX.
            os updates meme.jpg

Comment

I have a hp envy 360 with amd Ryzen 5 2500u which until this day, 5 years after I bought it, still sometimes (about one in 3 to 5 times) doesn't go to sleep properly and completely locks up. Due to this horrible user experience I can't put the computer to sleep which more or less defeats the purpose of a notebook, so for me on kernel 6.0.8: no this is not resolved

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
                I have a hp envy 360 with amd Ryzen 5 2500u which until this day, 5 years after I bought it, still sometimes (about one in 3 to 5 times) doesn't go to sleep properly and completely locks up. Due to this horrible user experience I can't put the computer to sleep which more or less defeats the purpose of a notebook, so for me on kernel 6.0.8: no this is not resolved
                Have you tried updating the BIOS? I've also found a thread that is all about that problem and it's 2 years old. I tend to run Xanmod or Liquorix for better performance and Kisak PPA for udpated drivers. I doubt the special kernals do any good for stability but maybe the updated drivers might?

Comment

Originally posted by Cotyso View Post
                  I'm in the same boat. AFAIK Qualcomm is planning to release some new chips in 2023, based on Nuvia's designs I think.
                  Bad news: they've slipped to 2024.

Originally posted by Cotyso View Post
                  There's also some laptops with 8cx gen3 but I'm not sure how linux friendly they are. Overall I'd say the future looks good.
                  Gen 3 is 4x X1 + 4x A78. A lot better than a Raspberry Pi, but not competitive with Alder Lake or Zen 4, performance-wise. At this rate, Qualcomm is going to get passed by Mediatek before they can launch their Nuvia-based chips.
                  Last edited by coder; 19 November 2022, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X