No announcement yet.

QEMU 7.2-rc1 Released - TCG For AVX/AVX2, Massive 9pfs Performance Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 7.2-rc1 Released - TCG For AVX/AVX2, Massive 9pfs Performance Improvement

Phoronix: QEMU 7.2-rc1 Released - TCG For AVX/AVX2, Massive 9pfs Performance Improvement

QEMU 7.2 is gearing up for release in December as the next feature release to this widely-used processor emulator by the Linux virtualization stack. QEMU 7.2-rc1 is available for testing with a number of new features and improvements coming in this release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

9pfs? That's cool, but only if it was available on Windows so I could see my ext4 and Btrfs drives on Windows (don't want to mess around with Ext2fsd/WinBtrfs)...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 16 November 2022, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      9pfs? That's cool, but only if it was available on Windows so I could see my ext4 and Btrfs drives on Windows (don't want to mess around with Ext2fsd/WinBtrfs)...
      This improved performance makes it more desirable, so there will be more impetus.

Windows host support for 9pfs export to guests V2 patch will be merged "soon".

There's a 32-bit Windows guest 9pfs driver here.

I've used sshfs for Windows guest to mount Linux host fs where high performance isn't important.

On WinXP I even used Samba. <Shudder/>.
      Last edited by linuxgeex; 16 November 2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Id be interested to see how the new netdevs are used

Comment

How does 9pfs compare to virtiofs ? It even seems to have a windows driver.

Comment

Isn't WSL2 using 9p? Can't that be used?

Comment

Originally posted by frytaped View Post
              How does 9pfs compare to virtiofs ? It even seems to have a windows driver.
              I use virtiofs. It is much more performant than 9p. At least until now.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

I use virtiofs. It is much more performant than 9p. At least until now.
                Could you share your virtiofs configuration for Windows guests (if I understood you correctly and that’s indeed your configuration)? In my experience, virtiofs on Windows was such a clusterfuck from both performance and stability POV that I just ended up using a tuned Samba.

Comment

Not gonna lie, I was somewhat taken aback by what I initially read as a "massive 9fps improvement" with AVX. đŸ˜¸

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Could you share your virtiofs configuration for Windows guests (if I understood you correctly and that’s indeed your configuration)? In my experience, virtiofs on Windows was such a clusterfuck from both performance and stability POV that I just ended up using a tuned Samba.
                    Sorry, I mean I use it with Linux guests. I have not yet tested with Windows. Samba is what I use with Windows, which is OK. The issues with samba is that Linux does extra file caching, and with virtiofs you can disable this.

Comment

Working...
                    X