No announcement yet.

QEMU 7.2-rc1 Released - TCG For AVX/AVX2, Massive 9pfs Performance Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 7.2-rc1 Released - TCG For AVX/AVX2, Massive 9pfs Performance Improvement

Phoronix: QEMU 7.2-rc1 Released - TCG For AVX/AVX2, Massive 9pfs Performance Improvement

QEMU 7.2 is gearing up for release in December as the next feature release to this widely-used processor emulator by the Linux virtualization stack. QEMU 7.2-rc1 is available for testing with a number of new features and improvements coming in this release...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/QEMU-7.2-rc1-Released

9pfs? That's cool, but only if it was available on Windows so I could see my ext4 and Btrfs drives on Windows (don't want to mess around with Ext2fsd/WinBtrfs)...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 16 November 2022, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      9pfs? That's cool, but only if it was available on Windows so I could see my ext4 and Btrfs drives on Windows (don't want to mess around with Ext2fsd/WinBtrfs)...
      This improved performance makes it more desirable, so there will be more impetus.

Windows host support for 9pfs export to guests V2 patch will be merged "soon".

There's a 32-bit Windows guest 9pfs driver here.

I've used sshfs for Windows guest to mount Linux host fs where high performance isn't important.

On WinXP I even used Samba. <Shudder/>.
      Last edited by linuxgeex; 16 November 2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Id be interested to see how the new netdevs are used

Comment

How does 9pfs compare to virtiofs ? It even seems to have a windows driver.

Comment

Isn't WSL2 using 9p? Can't that be used?

Comment

Originally posted by frytaped View Post
              How does 9pfs compare to virtiofs ? It even seems to have a windows driver.
              I use virtiofs. It is much more performant than 9p. At least until now.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

I use virtiofs. It is much more performant than 9p. At least until now.
                Could you share your virtiofs configuration for Windows guests (if I understood you correctly and that’s indeed your configuration)? In my experience, virtiofs on Windows was such a clusterfuck from both performance and stability POV that I just ended up using a tuned Samba.

Comment

Not gonna lie, I was somewhat taken aback by what I initially read as a "massive 9fps improvement" with AVX. đŸ˜¸

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Could you share your virtiofs configuration for Windows guests (if I understood you correctly and that’s indeed your configuration)? In my experience, virtiofs on Windows was such a clusterfuck from both performance and stability POV that I just ended up using a tuned Samba.
                    Sorry, I mean I use it with Linux guests. I have not yet tested with Windows. Samba is what I use with Windows, which is OK. The issues with samba is that Linux does extra file caching, and with virtiofs you can disable this.

Comment

Working...
                    X