Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 4.0 Beta 5 Brings Renderer Improvements, OpenGL To OpenXR

Phoronix: Godot 4.0 Beta 5 Brings Renderer Improvements, OpenGL To OpenXR

In addition to Godot 4.0 adding a movie maker mode, some additional news for this popular open-source game engine this week is the debut of Godot 4.0 Beta 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't wait til 4 is released. I backed an instructional series on Godot a while back but have been waiting til 4 releases before I take the dive.

Comment

- Godot will default to the OpenGL 3.x driver when using the project manager.

Odd. Why? The entire renderer was rewritten for Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahboi View Post
        - Godot will default to the OpenGL 3.x driver when using the project manager.

Odd. Why? The entire renderer was rewritten for Vulkan.
        Not all cards support Vulkan:

Intel: Broadwell and higher (Ivy Bridge Vulkan is experimental/deprecated) - 2014
        AMD: Last TeraScale card was Radeon R5 230 - released in 2014
        NVIDIA: Last Fermi cards were GeForce GT 705 and 730 - the latter released in 2014 (but some batches were Kepler)
        - GT 610s are still being sold in my country

It would have been nice if it was set to Vulkan by default though (falling back to OpenGL in case there's no Vulkan support).

Comment

It would have been nice if it was set to Vulkan by default though (falling back to OpenGL in case there's no Vulkan support).
          The OpenGL renderer is faster to initialize and provides all the features needed by the project manager (which only uses basic 2D rendering).

Comment

Working...
          X