Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Prepares Push For Its New Goals: Accessibility, Environmentally Sustainable, Automate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

No, GNOME is super easy to use, even little kids and old people can use it.
    If you think the whole point of a DE is to fire up a web browser and surf the net, then yeah, Gnome is the king of usability.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If you think the whole point of a DE is to fire up a web browser and surf the net, then yeah, Gnome is the king of usability.
      You hit my spot with this. You might not get the design GNOME uses and how to use it because you might be used to Windows, but I can tell you - my whole family (9y girl, 11yo boy, 42yo man, 86 yo man) is very happy with it and so am I. Most of them do only use 1 App open. Mostly the browser or the a word-processor. It's just perfect for this, yes. I use a lot more apps and do use virtual desktops a lot. I wish there was quarter and 3-part tiling, but besides that I'm also super satisfied with how it works.

I can recommend you this: How To Use The GNOME Desktop Environment

Comment

The KDE goals have always been great. Too bad nobody respects them. Volunteer KDE contributors just scratch their own itch (no dig at them, just the reality what hobbyist development is about).

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

You hit my spot with this. You might not get the design GNOME uses and how to use it because you might be used to Windows, but I can tell you - my whole family (9y girl, 11yo boy, 42yo man, 86 yo man) is very happy with it and so am I. Most of them do only use 1 App open. Mostly the browser or the a word-processor. It's just perfect for this, yes. I use a lot more apps and do use virtual desktops a lot. I wish there was quarter and 3-part tiling, but besides that I'm also super satisfied with how it works.

Yeah, for launching one or two apps KDE has this revolutionary idea where you just place shortcuts on the desktop and anyone that's not blind can launch them.

Comment

I'd say that when people need tutorials to use a desktop, something might be less user friendly than we think...

Comment

Thanks. So it shows very good reasons why I dislike Gnome and am usable to work with it.
              The concept of a full-screen program launcher does not fit my workflow. I permanently have to have several programs open and in constant exchange with each other when I am doing "one work". So my work does not contain "one spreadsheet" but "six programs, interactive with each other" and that's pretty bad when using Gnome.

Gnomes workflow can easily be done with e.g. Plasma, too, as it both has the concept of Activities and of multiple desktops, whereas you can also configure if you cant all programs of all desktops in your taskbar or just of the programs on that active desktop.

To me it seems like Gnome is only usable for very light and very not-complex work and workflows, like launching a browser or editing your expenses in your spreadsheet.
              As DevOps it falls flat to the face where I have to have several browsers and browser tabs, several editors, several virtual machines, several remote logins open to do ONE work.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Yea absolutely. And I look at that from a Windows user perspective, it would not be fair to compare a windows clone to anything but windows.

Discover? A insult towards the user. How the hell is it even possible to create something that works worse then the Windows Store. Zero progress feedback, erratic behavior, a UI that feels like a QML demo that was quickly hacked together in 20 minutes. I would like to use a UI for that on a 7 Inch screen.
                You had me up to that point, indeed Discover is kinda missing all points for me too, like it's too half-assed either way between "just a basic, raw package manager with dependencies taken care of" and "store-like GUI to present apps". Although I confess not having suggestions in how to improve really.
                However...

Dolphin is a absolute overload of poorly realized features, weird behavior and ugly UI. The Menu bar is weird and unorganized, the hamburger menu on top adds a whole new level of clutter. Overall a poor copy of the Windows explorer packed full of half baked features. Using it, which is a necessity on the Steam Deck if you want to tweak it a bit, feels horrible. (I believe this is a main difference in how KDE and Gnome operate, KDE just accepts whatever half baked feature idea someone has, and then it just gets dragged on over versions slowly deteriorating while the people working on Gnome first and foremost ask questions like does it really make sense to have this feature, how can we properly realize it and how can we continuously maintain it.)
                This is the biggest load of crap I've seen for a long time honestly.
                - Tabs? Still missing in Windows 10, maybe in Windows 11?
                - Split panel? Maybe in Windows 12
                - Fast-track to any level of your tree hierarchy? Was finally implemented in Windows 10 if I'm not mistaken, in Dophin since like 6 years
                - Appearance customization? Faster and stronger in Dolphin (AFAIK in Windows it's straight up dependent on system font).
                - Fail-safe security on drag & drop by always asking what you want to do (instead of Windows in which my parents lose files and folders everyday because of unwanted drags and drops, muscular problems on hand are a bitch).
                - Contextual menu customization? Still waiting.
                - Extensions bringing UI niceties (like folder coloring, open terminal from here) or additional features for right click advanced management (file conversion, opening as admin, comparing)? MAYBE in Windows 14?

Konsole is fine, if you do not want to use the touch screen.

The Shell is weird, especially with the Gnome Overview copy i mention as that is what it copies, that just does not feel right as KDE is a 2D shell and can't copy the smooth 3D resizing of Mutter.
                Never tried touch screens so I'll take your word on that.
                The start menu is horrible, thats all I can say to that. The Windows 10 one is a lot better, especially in the application list.
                Besides the fact that to each his own taste, I personally find Windows 10 menu atrocious, I do hope you at least had the honesty to make one right-click on the start menu icon? Because it clearly shows "show alternatives" and you have "classic windows style", "full screen style", and "windows 8-10 like style".
                So nobody forces you to stick with the default one, changing is just two clics away.
                Seriously how hard is it to create a good Windows clone...
                Do you really not realize that it's actually Windows that has been hard at trying to copy KDE since like the last 10 years (and a bit of Mac Os or Gnome for that matter, and some bits that are common to all desktop managers since 30 years)? Or you're just dishonest here?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  There are other reasons, valid ones, to prefer other desktops to GNOME. I'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all, I don't even use it myself. But complaints about inefficiency while using it - which you implied with "baby's first desktop" - are inaccurate.
                  That is not quite what I intended to imply. Rather my implication was that it is dumbed down and missing advanced features and options. Things like:
                  • ​​​​​​Change fonts
                  • T​​ext anti alias
                  • Font hinting
                  • Theme for libadawita programs (just dark and light themes available)
                  • GTK4 programs lacking support for displaying status bar icons.
                  • Evince lacking many types of PDF annotations supported by okular.
                  • Nautilus not allowing changing which terminal program to use for "open in terminal".
                  • And many many more things.

Some of these things can be changed, but are not available in the out of box preferences. You need either Gnome-Tweaker or edit dconf or config files.
                  ​​​​​​
                  That is dumbed down and a terrible user experience. KDE has clear and easy to find settings for all of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

[...] Nautilus not allowing changing which terminal program to use for "open in terminal".
                    "Because we're not designing a desktop for people who like to choose
                    their own terminal emulators."
                    -- https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipe...ne/007335.html
                    -- That case and other ones: https://www.christoph-wickert.de/201...te-of-the-day/

True story.
                    Last edited by Nth_man; 18 November 2022, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I'm going to guess that this slide was created by someone who has not heard of the KDE bug tracker, let alone visited it.

Comment

Working...
                      X