AMD EPYC 9374F Linux Benchmarks - Genoa's 32-Core High Frequency CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD EPYC 9374F Linux Benchmarks - Genoa's 32-Core High Frequency CPU

Phoronix: AMD EPYC 9374F Linux Benchmarks - Genoa's 32-Core High Frequency CPU

Last week for the AMD EPYC 4th Gen "Genoa" launch day I published initial AMD EPYC 9554 and EPYC 9654 Linux benchmarks as part of my review. Those 64-core and 96-core Zen 4 processors performed phenomenally with Genoa having AVX-512, twelve channels of DDR5-4800 system memory support, higher TDP allowance, and other improvements over prior Milan(X) server processors. The other SKU that AMD sent over for review is the EPYC 9374F as their new 32-core high frequency part. For less than $5k, the EPYC 9374F is a high frequency Zen 4 32-core part with a 320 Watt TDP. Today's benchmarks are looking at the EPYC 9374F against the EPYC 9554/9654 and various other AMD EPYC and Intel Xeon Scalable processors under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD is really killing it with Genoa, which is saying a lot since last gen was also a major leap in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      AMD is really killing it with Genoa, which is saying a lot since last gen was also a major leap in performance.
      For sure. And for those who think the 320w TDP is too high, remember that intel is pushing close to this on their desktop i7 processors. The latest Raptor Lake i7's have only 8 performance cores, but those eight cores consume 253 watts when turbo boost is enabled. Genoa's 32 cores @ 4.3 Ghz consuming only 320 watts is pretty amazing in comparison. That's 10w per core on the Genoa, vs. 32w per core on the Raptor Lake i7. Wow.

Comment

Everytime epyc get a benchmark someone at intel cries

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          Imagine the level of humbleness Epyc brought to Intel's sales person. Before it was "take it or leave it", now is "you know, Xeon is really competitive in your case".

Comment

Michael, phoronix I noticed that a few months ago you dropped the relational database benchmarks (mariadb, postgresql) from your test scripts. You added a lot of (to me) seemingly redundant variations of other benchmarks. E.g. I count 11 variations of OpenVino just as an example.
            Relational databases, while not as trendy or possibly relevant to show off the latest features of a CPU, still are the backbone to many applications and for that reason is highly valuable to judging a CPU (or other hardware) from generation to generation.

Can I please petition you to add relational database benchmarks back into your regular test regimen?

Comment

Originally posted by jochendemuth View Post
              Michael, phoronix I noticed that a few months ago you dropped the relational database benchmarks (mariadb, postgresql) from your test scripts. You added a lot of (to me) seemingly redundant variations of other benchmarks. E.g. I count 11 variations of OpenVino just as an example.
              Relational databases, while not as trendy or possibly relevant to show off the latest features of a CPU, still are the backbone to many applications and for that reason is highly valuable to judging a CPU (or other hardware) from generation to generation.

Can I please petition you to add relational database benchmarks back into your regular test regimen?
              Mostly waiting until getting some new, faster enterprise SSDs... Unfortunately the enterprise drives I have now are getting dated and bottlenecking from the evaluation runs I tried. Was hoping the Titanite server would have some shiny new high-end drives in them but alas did not. Unfortunately not sure when I'll get some better enterprise SSDs that would pair well with the new CPUs due to rarely getting storage review samples and lacking the funds to buy any high-end enterprise drives at the moment.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Mostly waiting until getting some new, faster enterprise SSDs... Unfortunately the enterprise drives I have now are getting dated and bottlenecking from the evaluation runs I tried.
                Yeah, I hate it when that happens. Suddenly the whole bench needs to be upgraded :-)

You're still able to get an Intel Optane P5800X to avoid bottlenecks but only for a pretty penny. Last gen Intel Optane 905s are currently on sale for a great deal, but may require multiples to avoid bottlenecks and for that reason are probably not best suited anymore.

Thanks for your quick and insightful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by jochendemuth View Post

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. Suddenly the whole bench needs to be upgraded :-)

You're still able to get an Intel Optane P5800X to avoid bottlenecks but only for a pretty penny. Last gen Intel Optane 905s are currently on sale for a great deal, but may require multiples to avoid bottlenecks and for that reason are probably not best suited anymore.

Thanks for your quick and insightful reply.
                  Yeah unfortunately. I do have P5800X but I think only one so that bottlenecks the testing too. At least with the Optane 900 it was bottlenecking too so assume 905 isn't too vastly different.

So for now holding out hope I guess that Intel sends out a nice Sapphire Rapids server that also happens to have a few really nice drives in it...
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    Not only at Intel. Dont forget the hardcore intel fanbois running wild on all forums. Like how they forgot how intel raped us when they didnt have competition, especially when they almost killed AMD with their dirty and illegal practices.

Glad they are getting their asses kicked.

Comment

Working...
                    X