Fedora 37 Now Available With GNOME 43 Desktop, Official Raspberry Pi 4 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bzs0 View Post

Been running Kinoite (the KDE spin) for a while, would love a Sway option though. An immutable base OS image has its quirks but is also quite refreshing. I'm glad that RH and SUSE (for their MicroOS) are exploring the future of desktop Linux with these attempts
    for me the biggest thing Is I just need something for my parents that is easy enough and wont brick. they would be mostly satisfied by silverblue

Comment

when will the silverblue favor be available?

Comment

Google no more. h264 mesa support:

First, set up RPM Fusion repos:
        Code:
        sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm
        # nonfree repository is not needed, you can skip this command
        sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

Then install mesa-va-drivers-freeworld and mesa-vdpau-drivers-freeworld
        Code:
        sudo dnf install mesa-va-drivers-freeworld mesa-vdpau-drivers-freeworld
        Alternatively, if mesa-va-drivers or mesa-vdpau-drivers are already installed, use swap instead:
        Code:
        sudo dnf swap mesa-va-drivers mesa-va-drivers-freeworld
        sudo dnf swap mesa-vdpau-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers-freeworl​
        Please describe why this package is not eligible for Fedora ? Mesa is eligible in Fedora, however recent changes in the ecosystem have prompted Fedora to remove accelerated support for h264, h265, and vc1. Is this software redistributabl...
        Last edited by C8292; 15 November 2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
          when will the silverblue favor be available?
          Even if an ISO hasn't been released, if you're already on silverblue / kinoite then F37 is already available as a ostree remote. Simply run

Code:
          rpm-ostree rebase fedora:fedora/37/x86_64/kinoite
          to begin the update process.

Comment

@C8292
            So mesa in RPMfusion does support h264, h265? I thought they didn't want to, might try it on the second PC if it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
              ​Do you mean dnf5? you can get the test version here: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...dnf5-unstable/ Not much to write home about. uses different cache layout, which I think is unnecessary and unfortunate.
              Yeah, I meant that. I heard that they are way faster or something...

Comment

I upgraded a Fedora 36 KDE install using the instructions at https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...ystem-upgrade/, after a 4 GB download the actual upgrade step took 20 minutes for the 5,400 packages.

Memory usage still seems weirdly high—even simple GUI applications are using over 100 MB of RAM. It seems a lot of that is related to how LLVM is linked.

Running "perl" has an RSS of 4 MB. Running "LD_PRELOAD=/lib64/libLLVM-15.so perl" has an RSS of 40 MB.

If I compile Mesa with only softpipe (so LLVM is disabled), then konsole drops from using 130 MB RAM to 84 MB.

So:
                1. ACO for radeonsi when?
                2. Is this a LLVM issue, or Fedora linker settings?

Looking at some other distributions, this seems like it might be common to all distributions using glibc? Does musl do any better?

EDIT: It turns out that RSS doesn't work like I thought it did: it includes clean pages that are shared between processes, so from doing testing with the "free" command I've found that LLVM only uses about 10 MB of per-process memory, mostly for the 400,000 relocations… still a lot, but not nearly as bad.
                Last edited by archsway; 16 November 2022, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  AFAIK the previous layout had a problem where DNF and packagekit consumers such as Gnome-Software would use different layouts so there was duplication of data. Chages were made to stop this. Not sure if that is what you are referring to.
                  unless you set cachedir in /etc/dnf/dnf.conf, by default dnf5 uses /var/cache/libdnf5 and not /var/cache/dnf . not sure why they are doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
                    Google no more. h264 mesa support:

First, set up RPM Fusion repos:
                    Code:
                    sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm
                    # nonfree repository is not needed, you can skip this command
                    sudo dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

Then install mesa-va-drivers-freeworld and mesa-vdpau-drivers-freeworld
                    Code:
                    sudo dnf install mesa-va-drivers-freeworld mesa-vdpau-drivers-freeworld
                    Alternatively, if mesa-va-drivers or mesa-vdpau-drivers are already installed, use swap instead:
                    Code:
                    sudo dnf swap mesa-va-drivers mesa-va-drivers-freeworld
                    sudo dnf swap mesa-vdpau-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers-freeworl​
                    I went through this process after the last article on this issue, and I noticed that my mpv config wasn't never using hwdec to begin with. After I turned that on, I had some files that it couldn't decode properly (just displayed black). I'm sure there is some tangential benefits to hwdec, I'm not sure I will notice it. Maybe I will try again in a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                      I wish they would have kept armv7 for a little longer
                      While I personally do, too, I understand the issue that it was becoming impossible to build a number of the entire set of Fedora packages on native armv7 (and on Fedora, all packages must be able to be build on the native platforms). This is partially due to some software projects bloat, of course, but the tooling bloat did not help, either.

Comment

Working...
                      X