Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Reveals More Details Around The Radeon RX 7900 Series / RDNA3

Phoronix: AMD Reveals More Details Around The Radeon RX 7900 Series / RDNA3

Earlier this month AMD announced the Radeon RX 7900 XT and RX 7900 XTX with availability set for 13 December. Meanwhile today the embargo lifts on more details surrounding the RDNA3 architecture and these new graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's always lovely seeing AMD talking up GPUOpen and their open-source efforts at large. "Commitment to open-source software" certainly isn't something NVIDIA can honestly advertise at this point.
    It's a very weird commitment. It's there until it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Whatever happened to that Nvidia promise 1-3 years ago to open source or help the Linux side out? Does anyone remember that? I know I was excited but it seems like we're in the same status quo. My Nvidia homies still feel like second-class citizens on Linux and are abandoning Nvidia on their next upgrade.

EDIT: I think it's this I'm remembering: https://www.phoronix.com/review/nvidia-open-kernel
      Last edited by Mitch; 14 November 2022, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Possible typo:-
        so just the two six-pin PCIe power connectors are required.
        Should that be eight?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

Whatever happened to that Nvidia promise 1-3 years ago to open source or help the Linux side out? Does anyone remember that? I know I was excited but it seems like we're in the same status quo. My Nvidia homies still feel like second-class citizens on Linux and are abandoning Nvidia on their next upgrade.
          I am not sure about this statement, do you have any stats to back this up? Based on all the hardware surveys I can find, Nvidia on Linux has held a commanding lead over Radeon for many years. While the percentage has swung up and down from gen to gen, its been very minor movements... until the 3XXX series from Nvidia when they picked up a LOT more market share across the board (Linux, Windows, HPC).

It would be awesome to see this 7XXX gen take a bite into some of that share, and it really could given the aggressive price point to performance... and the much higher likelihood that a 7900 XTX wont melt its power connectors! The Nvidia 4090 is going to clearly remain the champ in performance... for the two weeks it runs before meltdown...

That said I am definitely going to be giving the Radeon a close look in my next upgrade, really hope that ROCm is something then! Its come a long way!

Comment

Originally posted by WonkoTheSaneUK View Post
            Possible typo:-
            Should that be eight?
            Should be eight but it doesn't matter since both have just 3 wires for 12 Volt. The 8 wire plug has only 2 more ground wires.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

With all due respect, all commitments are there until they're not...

Comment

So, will cryptominers snatch all of them due to the higher performance per watt or will these end up in gamer hands at last?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

NVIDIA is so concerned. I guess 99.5% of their sales go to Windows users. Where can I get Open Source AMD Windows drivers? Nowhere? Exactly.

The vast majority of people in the world couldn't care less about the openness of drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Should be eight but it doesn't matter since both have just 3 wires for 12 Volt. The 8 wire plug has only 2 more ground wires.
                    It makes a difference, because pin 4 and 6 aren't really ground wires, they are sense cables (if connected to ground the device knows it can pull 150 W over the 6 other cables). On the 6 pin connector only 4 cables contribute to the 75W power transfer. You can see this sometimes when those cables have actually less than 6 or 8 cables and some pins are just shorted to ground on the device side.

Comment

Working...
                    X