AMD Reveals More Details Around The Radeon RX 7900 Series / RDNA3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

NVIDIA is so concerned. I guess 99.5% of their sales go to Windows users. Where can I get Open Source AMD Windows drivers? Nowhere? Exactly.

The vast majority of people in the world couldn't care less about the openness of drivers.
    I won't pretend you or I know Nvidia's intentions nor their Windows vs Linux sales breakdowns without evidence to back up our claims. My memory was around this: https://www.phoronix.com/review/nvidia-open-kernel. I don't know why it felt like years ago, but it was only May this year. It seems like they're getting there slowly. My concern had nothing to do with Windows. It's purely a concern about what Nvidia said they would do, what they've done, and what they're doing next in the Linux space.

And to their credit, it seems like they seem to be making progress there, but they might be behind other open source GPU efforts for the time being. This lag is still a thorn for Nvidia Linux users and potential Linux adopters.

I'd prefer hardware to not be a barrier to Linux adoption. Nvidia has a huge user base, and I'm rooting for their users to have a great OOB experience on Linux, as i've had with AMD and Intel. Walking away from **Windows to Linux**, while pleasant for me, could be better, and I know the Linux community will make it better.

EDIT: **Mispoke
    Last edited by Mitch; 14 November 2022, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Highly disappointing RT performance, won't buy. AMD slows down the death of ugly screen space reflections, really not happy about this...

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

I am not sure about this statement, do you have any stats to back this up? Based on all the hardware surveys I can find, Nvidia on Linux has held a commanding lead over Radeon for many years. While the percentage has swung up and down from gen to gen, its been very minor movements... until the 3XXX series from Nvidia when they picked up a LOT more market share across the board (Linux, Windows, HPC).

It would be awesome to see this 7XXX gen take a bite into some of that share, and it really could given the aggressive price point to performance... and the much higher likelihood that a 7900 XTX wont melt its power connectors! The Nvidia 4090 is going to clearly remain the champ in performance... for the two weeks it runs before meltdown...

That said I am definitely going to be giving the Radeon a close look in my next upgrade, really hope that ROCm is something then! Its come a long way!
        The open source efforts I'm referring to are in this article: https://www.phoronix.com/review/nvidia-open-kernel. And my claim about a sour Nvidia experience in Linux is purely anecdotal, so I don't have satisfactory evidence to say all Nvidia users have a bad time. I just have doubts that Nvidia's Linux experience is as good as AMD's and Intel's and I ultimately want Nvidia users to have a better time and join the Linux community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

The open source efforts I'm referring to are in this article: https://www.phoronix.com/review/nvidia-open-kernel. And my claim about a sour Nvidia experience in Linux is purely anecdotal, so I don't have satisfactory evidence to say all Nvidia users have a bad time. I just have doubts that Nvidia's Linux experience is as good as AMD's and Intel's and I ultimately want Nvidia users to have a better time and join the Linux community.
          Yes... Nvidia's OSS engagement is "marketing" at best or "bate and switch" at worst. That said the experience over all these days is basically as seamless as it is on Windows, and for the vast majority of users, that is all that matters. Using a distro like Pop_OS both Nvidia and AMD just work out of the box! Its awesome! CUDA is super easy to get up and running and even GPU passthrough has become while not one click install, at least a lot easier these days now that Nvidia has stopped blocking VM'ing on their retail cards.

Comment

It wouldn’t be an AMD release without their silly marketing terms. “Plug and Game” works the same on the RTX 40 series. If anything 12VHPWR will be easier to use with new ATX 3.0 power supplies. Can’t wait until 12VHPWR and AVX12VO become the standard power cables.

Look how simple it is to plugin a single cable with an ATX 3.0 PSU:
            https://storage-asset.msi.com/event/...ison_after.jpg
            Last edited by WannaBeOCer; 14 November 2022, 02:42 PM.

Comment

t's always lovely seeing AMD talking up GPUOpen and their open-source efforts at large. "Commitment to open-source software" certainly isn't something NVIDIA can honestly advertise at this point.
              Well Michael, I can safely assume that you will never get another GPU from Nvidia for being a traitor to the brand and other niceties... :-)

You have earned another notch of respect for saying something like that, because the reality is, all media seems to either be scared of nvidia or so biased towards them that they never, ever dare in posting something like that. Its always praises and praises.

Anyways, glad that AMD is keeping that commitment and hopefully never breaks it.

One question though, I cant seem to find info as to what is that USB C port used for on this GPU (same for the 6900 XT)?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Well Michael, I can safely assume that you will never get another GPU from Nvidia for being a traitor to the brand and other niceties... :-)

You have earned another notch of respect for saying something like that, because the reality is, all media seems to either be scared of nvidia or so biased towards them that they never, ever dare in posting something like that. Its always praises and praises.

Anyways, glad that AMD is keeping that commitment and hopefully never breaks it.

One question though, I cant seem to find info as to what is that USB C port used for on this GPU (same for the 6900 XT)?
                The USB-C port can be used for standard USB data transfer, power delivery, and display outputs. It’s great and I’m glad to see AMD sticking with it.

Comment

Regarding the 5.3 TB/s Infinity Cache interfaces. Assuming decimal bytes, and 320 bits for combined bus width, we get 5.3e12 x 8 / 320 = 133e9 transfers per second. Or compared to current DDR RAM: 133,333 MT/s.

EDIT: Oh, there's more to it. Just read up about PAM4 in GDDR6X. It's highly likely AMD have done something similar with Infinity links.
                  Last edited by user556; 14 November 2022, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
                    If anything 12VHPWR will be easier to use with new ATX 3.0 power supplies. Can’t wait until 12VHPWR and AVX12VO become the standard power cables.
                    That's a joke right? ATX12VO is basically dead except of some niche OEM stuff and you haven't seen all those burnt HPWR connectors some even without those crappy nvidia adapters?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      So, will cryptominers snatch all of them due to the higher performance per watt or will these end up in gamer hands at last?
                      Well considering Etherium changed to Proof of Stake and Bitcoin is collapsing to the lowest value in 2 years, I think gamers should finally get something this time around. Worst-case scenario, you might have to buy early, in case mining makes another comeback and drivers get optimized for mining.

Comment

Working...
                      X