Mesa's Rusticl Achieves Official OpenCL 3.0 Conformance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

it needs two extensions which aren't implemented yet: cl_khr_gl_sharing and cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer
    Would propably answer some questions, if it was documented in the features.txt file. Or wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
      Would propably answer some questions, if it was documented in the features.txt file. Or wouldn't it?
      what additional docs? both are listed in features.txt as not started yet

Comment

I have been running Ubuntu, 18 through 22 so far and feel no need to switch distros. Most of my team uses Ubuntu also.
        I don't run virtualized apps. Just native apps on half a dozen BOINC projects.

Comment

huh? what you are all talking about? I have a headache from all the partying and celebrating. Try to dumb it down for me...

Comment

Don't suppose you've any updates on the Haswell/Crocus support that I inquired about previously?

(or heck, even pre-GCN AMD GPUs but I'm not holding my breath for that one)

protip for people that don't know: LGA1150 Haswell Xeon CPUs are pretty much the last non-HEDT Xeon CPUs compatible with consumer chipsets and motherboards, and those CPUs are dirt cheap on Ebay (3.5GHz base, 4core/8Thread Haswell Xeon E3-1246 v3 with integrated graphics for 30 USD!...yet the seemingly equal Xeon E3-1275 v3 is much more expensive when AFAICT they're identical?)

And if you're an emulation enthusiast like me, then the fact that Haswell is weirdly fast in emulation tasks (per-GHz performance comparable to Zen2 in such workloads) and Haswell's (incomplete) support for Vulkan makes it pretty much the perfect bang-per-buck CPU on the used market at this time.

...now if only LGA1150 Broadwell Xeon CPUs weren't as rare as their consumer variants, because they're also compatible with consumer chipsets and have a relatively powerful iGPU for the time (roughly comparable to modern 12th gen Intel desktop iGPUs) that uses the same Iris driver which means full Vulkan and presumably Rusticl support, but Broadwell was so short lived that it barely even existed in the market and therefore even early Ryzen APUs can be had for cheaper, let alone LGA1151 Skylake-derived parts being cheaper (but LGA1151 Xeon CPUs aren't compatible with consumer motherboards and require a workstation chipset).
            Last edited by NM64; 16 November 2022, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NM64 View Post
              Don't suppose you've any updates on the Haswell/Crocus support that I inquired about previously?

(or heck, even pre-GCN AMD GPUs but I'm not holding my breath for that one)

protip for people that don't know: LGA1150 Haswell Xeon CPUs are pretty much the last non-HEDT Xeon CPUs compatible with consumer chipsets and motherboards, and those CPUs are dirt cheap on Ebay (3.5GHz base, 4core/8Thread Haswell Xeon E3-1246 v3 with integrated graphics for 30 USD!...yet the seemingly equal Xeon E3-1275 v3 is much more expensive when AFAICT they're identical?)

And if you're an emulation enthusiast like me, then the fact that Haswell is weirdly fast in emulation tasks (per-GHz performance comparable to Zen2 in such workloads) and Haswell's (incomplete) support for Vulkan makes it pretty much the perfect bang-per-buck CPU on the used market at this time.

...now if only LGA1150 Broadwell Xeon CPUs weren't as rare as their consumer variants, because they're also compatible with consumer chipsets and have a relatively powerful iGPU for the time (roughly comparable to modern 12th gen Intel desktop iGPUs) that uses the same Iris driver which means full Vulkan and presumably Rusticl support, but Broadwell was so short lived that it barely even existed in the market and therefore even early Ryzen APUs can be had for cheaper, let alone LGA1151 Skylake-derived parts being cheaper (but LGA1151 Xeon CPUs aren't compatible with consumer motherboards and require a workstation chipset).
              illwieckz have you done any testing on haswell/crocus systems?

Comment

karolherbst
                https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...s/features.txt

seems to track the state of implementation of khronos standards for mesa driver
                rustcl is as far as I can see not included
                There is a point to have it in there
                Last edited by _ONH_; 19 November 2022, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

illwieckz have you done any testing on haswell/crocus systems?
                  Yes, for now all you can do is to list the device (and I even don't remember if those patches are merged yet), so it's in very early state.

Comment

Quackdoc I found it, not merged yet (and still flagged as draft):

This would only enable crocus device listing anyway, no more.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
                      Quackdoc I found it, not merged yet (and still flagged as draft):

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/19000

This would only enable crocus device listing anyway, no more.
                      I somewhat late on this, but Haswell / crocus actually supports OpenCL right now via the beignet-opencl-icd package. The problem is that it's no longer maintained and has been removed from the likes of Ubuntu 22.04 (and Mint 21), meaning I'm stuck on Mint 20.3 unless rusticl can support Haswell / crocus.

EDIT: The main bit I require is image support which beignet does indeed have, and obviously rusticl has it as well.
                      Last edited by NM64; 01 December 2022, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X