Running The Open-Source Upstream V3D Driver On The Raspberry Pi 4 & Newer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running The Open-Source Upstream V3D Driver On The Raspberry Pi 4 & Newer

Phoronix: Running The Open-Source Upstream V3D Driver On The Raspberry Pi 4 & Newer

As of this summer the upstream, open-source Broadcom V3D direct rendering manager kernel driver has enabled support for the Raspberry Pi 4 (and newer). With the latest mainline Linux kernel builds this means the ability to enjoy accelerated graphics on the Raspberry Pi hardware paired with the latest Mesa OpenGL/Vulkan driver code without worrying about out-of-tree patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why don't they provide it directly.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      I wonder why don't they provide it directly.
      They will, eventually. Moving to a fully open source distribution is one of the stated goals as part of their educational objective.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post

They will, eventually. Moving to a fully open source distribution is one of the stated goals as part of their educational objective.
        I'll believe it and use it when they do it

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I'll believe it and use it when they do it
          Well Mesa releases four times a year, so you’ll presumably get it by the end of the year?

Comment

Okay, I'll bite. What's the "& Newer" all about? Was that explicitly mentioned in a patch? If so, I guess that would confirm they're sticking with VideoCore for the Pi 5's GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Okay, I'll bite. What's the "& Newer" all about? Was that explicitly mentioned in a patch? If so, I guess that would confirm they're sticking with VideoCore for the Pi 5's GPU.
              Currently I think the Raspberry Pi 400​ and CM4 count as & Newer?

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
                Currently I think the Raspberry Pi 400​ and CM4 count as & Newer?
                Don't they use the same SoC? It only counts as "newer" if it's not the same as in the original Pi 4.

From what I can see, they all use the BCM2711, though the 400 uses a C0 stepping. It seems extremely unlikely that any significant design changes would be introduced in a stepping, rather than a new model number.

Comment

Michael
                  Any benchmarks planned to compare the different Pis? The new Orange Pi 5 seems to be interesting price wise, f. e.

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
                    Michael
                    Any benchmarks planned to compare the different Pis? The new Orange Pi 5 seems to be interesting price wise, f. e.
                    No, I don't have any of the other non-RPi ones.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X