No announcement yet.

Wine 7.21 Released With Continued PE Work, Prepping For Vulkan 32-bit On 64-bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 7.21 Released With Continued PE Work, Prepping For Vulkan 32-bit On 64-bit

Phoronix: Wine 7.21 Released With Continued PE Work, Prepping For Vulkan 32-bit On 64-bit

Wine 7.21 is out as the latest bi-weekly development snapshot of this software to enjoy Windows games and applications on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unless I am mistaken, I've been watching their git, and I think they FINISHED the PE work. When they completed a DLL, they were removing the mcygwin flag from the EXTRADLLFLAGS for it. The only place where mcygwin appears now is the part that was handling it

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
      Unless I am mistaken, I've been watching their git, and I think they FINISHED the PE work. When they completed a DLL, they were removing the mcygwin flag from the EXTRADLLFLAGS for it. The only place where mcygwin appears now is the part that was handling it
      Out of curiosity, what's the point of all the PE conversions? I haven't been following along for too long and never saw their initial reason.

Comment

PE conversion is completed.

With a temporary performance hit.
        Performance hit measured on a few games (with esync and wined3d), CPU% is the time spent in the syscall dispatcher as measured with perf top -K while...

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post

Out of curiosity, what's the point of all the PE conversions? I haven't been following along for too long and never saw their initial reason.
          It's been a while since I first read up on it, from what I recall part of it is to follow closer with how Windows does things to improve compatibility, and as a benefit it could also allow WoW64 without 32-bit dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica View Post

This question has been asked and answered here at least a dozen times already.

I guess Michael should just add this now three years old announcement to every news:

Code:
            What's new in Wine 5.0
            ======================

*** PE modules

- Most modules are built in PE format (Portable Executable, the
            Windows binary format) instead of ELF when the MinGW compiler is
            available. This helps various copy protection schemes that check
            that the on-disk and in-memory contents of system modules are
            identical.

- The actual PE binaries are copied into the Wine prefix instead of
            the fake DLL files. This makes the prefix look more like a real
            Windows installation, at the cost of some extra disk space.

- Modules that have been converted to PE can use standard wide-char C
            functions, as well as wide-char character constants like L"abc".
            This makes the code easier to read.

- Not all modules have been converted to PE yet; this is an ongoing
            process that will continue during the Wine 5.x development series.

- The Wine C runtime is updated to support linking to MinGW-compiled
            binaries; it is used by default instead of the MinGW runtime when
            building DLLs.
            Last edited by birdie; 12 November 2022, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

This question has been asked and answered here at least a dozen times already.

I guess Michael should just add this now three years old announcement to every news:
              [...]
              I know right? It's almost like they "haven't been following along for too long". If only they'd mentioned that. Of course then your reply would seem unnecessarily rude, and you'd have to rephrase it quite a bit to fit the question.

Comment

Wine 7.21 also works on enabling support for 32-bit Windows Vulkan games/apps with the rest of the 64-bit system software/driver stack
                If I understand this correctly, that means 32 bit games will now use 64 bit Vulkan drivers?
                I know that on Windows you still need 32 bit user space drivers to run 32 bit games.

Comment

Originally posted by clementhk View Post
                  According this affect wined3d but if you have dxvk dont be a problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

If I understand this correctly, that means 32 bit games will now use 64 bit Vulkan drivers?
                    I know that on Windows you still need 32 bit user space drivers to run 32 bit games.
                    Now if only Steam app would support native 64bit....

Comment

Working...
                    X