Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Driver Improves Firmware Handling, IBT Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Driver Improves Firmware Handling, IBT Support

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Open GPU Kernel Driver Improves Firmware Handling, IBT Support

    With yesterday's NVIDIA 525.23 Linux driver beta in addition to many improvements in their closed-source code, their in-development open-source GPU kernel driver has also received some enhancements...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/NVIDIA...en-Kernel-Code

  • #2
    step by step ...does it really get better or is this just some marketing move?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
      step by step ...does it really get better or is this just some marketing move?
      This will be going on for several years, at least. Does anyone remember what a clusterfuck was AMD's transition to open source?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        This will be going on for several years, at least. Does anyone remember what a clusterfuck was AMD's transition to open source?
        I don't get why NVidia didn't take this approach sooner, nothing was preventing this and they weren't losing any advantage whatsoever while now they're in a position where while they control the data-centre they're actively losing market-share and things can get much worse in short order if AMD and Intel play their cards right (more AMD than Intel but I digress)

        IMHO NVidia put themselves on a strange position.

        Anyway I can't wait to see what MESA will be able to achieve with NVidia hardware vs the closed NVidia graphics stack. I for one don't mind buying an NVidia card again just to test when the open source support is in good shape.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

          I don't get why NVidia didn't take this approach sooner, nothing was preventing this and they weren't losing any advantage whatsoever while now they're in a position where while they control the data-centre they're actively losing market-share and things can get much worse in short order if AMD and Intel play their cards right (more AMD than Intel but I digress)

          IMHO NVidia put themselves on a strange position.

          Anyway I can't wait to see what MESA will be able to achieve with NVidia hardware vs the closed NVidia graphics stack. I for one don't mind buying an NVidia card again just to test when the open source support is in good shape.
          It's always about the ROI. Writing a device driver for something as complex as a modern GPU is a huge investment. A few years ago, Nvidia's driver was running circles around AMD's. As such, AMD had a lot to gain by investing in a new driver, whereas Nvidia didn't.

          Comment


          • #6
            Love the excuses on behalf poor and defenseless nvidia.

            Not even Linus himself cant make people understand how bad this damned company is.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
              Love the excuses on behalf poor and defenseless nvidia.

              Not even Linus himself cant make people understand how bad this damned company is.
              Except that AMD isn't perfect either - their graphics cards hang and crash often, even on Windows.
              It takes a while to find the perfect combination that works as it should.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                Except that AMD isn't perfect either - their graphics cards hang and crash often, even on Windows.
                It takes a while to find the perfect combination that works as it should.
                True nothing is perfect but driver Situation in Linux is better then on Windows for AMD.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Cant find those nvidia fans now saying they will release full driver after this big win for linux. Nvidia doing there job as it is data center business.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                    Except that AMD isn't perfect either - their graphics cards hang and crash often, even on Windows.
                    It takes a while to find the perfect combination that works as it should.

                    i dont know which AMD gpu you have, but my 6900 xt and the previous one, a 580, have been flawless both Win and Linux.

                    Hell, on Linux, i didnt even had a need to download or install anything, it simply worked.

                    But for some weird reason, nvidia fanbois keep repeating that lie, to protect poor and defenseless nvidia.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X