Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Enables RISC-V 64-bit Support

Phoronix: LibreOffice Enables RISC-V 64-bit Support

If the royalty free open-source processor ISA RISC-V is to enjoy success on the Linux desktop, obviously it needs an office suite... LibreOffice as the open-source office suite alternative to Microsoft Office is now seeing proper RISC-V 64-bit support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Firefox is available too.
    Now if only there could be a cheap relatively high performance SoC that would be great. Something like the Raspberry Pi at the price of the Raspberry Pi.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Firefox is available too.
      Now if only there could be a cheap relatively high performance SoC that would be great. Something like the Raspberry Pi at the price of the Raspberry Pi.
      With a nice GPU part (Vulkan 1.3+ capable and such, near performance a nice discrete GPU), DDR5, M2 slots, gigE at least and WiFi. With coreboot support or similar and open source drivers.

I know it's just a dream

Comment

Well, anything above kernel, toolchain (compilers, assemblers, linkers) and C library should mostly work out of box on any arch unless they opt-in to use some inline assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

With a nice GPU part (Vulkan 1.3+ capable and such, near performance a nice discrete GPU), DDR5, M2 slots, gigE at least and WiFi. With coreboot support or similar and open source drivers.

I know it's just a dream
          I dream something similar. But the top tier dream is to print out your own open-source CPU.

Comment

I know it's just a dream
            I think you forgot audio

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
              Well, anything above kernel, toolchain (compilers, assemblers, linkers) and C library should mostly work out of box on any arch unless they opt-in to use some inline assembly.
              Its true. This is why much of the industry is stacked on top of C.

The only things that mess it up is architecture dependent JIT (Java/.NET) in VMs or as you mentioned, inline assembly. I don't believe OpenOffice or LibreOffice *require* Java so it shouldn't have been too difficult.

That said, many bugs are exposed by different architecture quirks (which is why it is good to support many different archs, including older ones) so perhaps they just fixed a bunch of these bugs.

Comment

I 'just' want a SoC that can route and do QoS and Firewall rule processing at wire speed on a Gigabit connection. So a speedy cpu, some memory, and a couple of GigE connections: no video card, or audio needed. There's a huge market for (low power draw) SOHO Internet connection boxes - in fact, if the upstream is fibre capable, you could get benefits there, but fibre-to-GigE convertors are easy enough.
                And no, it doesn't need a switch, or Wifi in the first iteration - those are easily added downstream (and there are advantages to doing so), but if the SoC works in the 'simple' router, adding built-in switch and WiFi is an easy 'stage 2' to allow an 'integrated' solution, which puts the WiFi in the wrong place in the building and doesn't give you enough switch ports.

SoCs and embedded cpus are where the market is. Fighting with Intel or AMD for desktops, laptops, or servers is not a winning strategy.

Comment

I know it's just a dream
                  I guess that GPU part could be filled with proper PCIe slot that can be used by GPU. As far I know AMD drivers can work on other architectures. Nvidia also provides ARM build of their drivers. No idea about Intel dGPU.

I would definitely be interested in something like ATX or ITX board with performant ARM or RISC-V CPU that would provide at least one PCIe port that could handle typical desktop GPU. Yeah, probably nice dream as well.
                  Last edited by dragon321; 11 November 2022, 12:55 PM.

Comment

nice, not any socs that I am interested in, but I would love to see an rpi alternative with 3d accel, maybe using the new pvr gpu stack?

Comment

Working...
                    X